Chapter 31 - Growing Up

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Hey guys, I don't have a lot of time to write a long message today... So I'll just let you know this is the penultimate chapter now. I'll be updating an Epilogue next week and then we have finally reached the end of Ash's story.

Thank you SO much to everyone reading and commenting, I could never have written this without you. I really hope you'll love this chapter. Let me know what you think :)

Lots of love,
Becky xx

***

Chapter 31

Growing Up

We pull up outside The Apple Inn. The place where I live and work. The place I grew up in.

I think this is the first time I've ever felt worried about walking through the door.

Chunk watches me as I temporarily freeze to my seat. "You OK? Do you want me to come in with you?"

I give a tiny nod. "Yes please. I could do with some back-up."

On the drive here I stupidly checked my phone to find a load more furious texts from Benjamin and frantic missed calls from my parents. They are worked up into a frenzy right now. And I know what's going to come as soon as they see me. Shouting. A lot of shouting.

My hair is a mess, I'm wearing mud-covered overalls and the last remnants of yesterday's make-up are still streaked down my face. I'm a disgusting wreck. Which just makes all of this even harder. What the hell are my parents going to think when they see me? That I've gone completely off the rails? Because that's exactly what I've done.

I step shakily out of the van, staring up at the creaking sign of the pub which is swaying in the wind. Chunk exits the driver's side, joining me and putting a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"I've been really horrible to them," I murmur guiltily. "They only wanted to help me and I threw it all back in their faces."

My arguments with Benji. Lying. Stealing. Skiving. All the nasty things I said which I didn't even really mean. How could I have acted like that? It's like I was possessed by some other, vile Ashleigh who just wanted to hurt them all for no reason.

"They're your family," Chunk answers soothingly. "And they love you. They'll understand."

"Will they?" I reply with a sigh. I don't feel so sure. Not after everything I've put them through the past few weeks.

"Of course they will."

I take a step forward down the gravelled driveway leading to the building's entrance. Then another. I can do this. Even though it's going to sting like hell. I can practically hear their reactions already, ringing loud and clear in my mind.

I TOLD you that boy was no good for you, Ashleigh. I TOLD you.

What on earth did you expect was going to happen by going off with him so late at night? You barely even knew him!

This is why we worry about you all the time! You're just so naïve and easily taken in by people. How can we treat you like a grown-up when you don't act like one?!

I AM SO ANGRY WITH YOU YOUNG LADY, DON'T YOU EVER PUT US THROUGH SOMETHING LIKE THIS AGAIN!

I reach the doors, pausing for a moment to brace myself. I briefly wonder if I should go in through the back door instead, but somehow creeping in unnoticed seems like the wrong decision. I want everyone to see me and know that I'm here.

"Do you want me to wait outside?" Chunk asks, just behind my shoulder.

"I'd rather you were with me," I reply. "If that's OK?"