Chapter 16

Cas walks in through the door of his house. Benny is there.

"I'm home!" Cas shouts.

"Papa's home!" Dean says in an excited childish voice. A squeal of delight follows.

Dean comes out carrying Mary. She sees Cas and shrieks bouncing on Dean's hip. Benny awkwardly trails behind them.

"Hey, baby girl!" Cas drops his stuff and grabs his baby. She clutches onto him.

"Hey," Dean kisses Cas. "So are you sure you liked the video?" He asks.

"I loved it, I'm glad you got my good side," he smiles and leans into Dean.

"What's up?" Cas glances at Benny.

"Oh he wanted to know if I could go out with him tonight, do a little drinking, have a little fun." Dean says.

"What am I your mother? Of course you can go out." Cas rolls his eyes. "I'm not going to stop you from having fun."

"You're not my mom, but you are my husband, and it would be best if I didn't just leave without permission." Dean says matter-of-factly.

"You can go," Cas chuckles.

"You're the best," Dean grins.

"I know," Cas gives a smug look. "It's why you married me."

"I'll be back later," Dean gives Cas a big kiss and prances out, following Benny out to his car. Cas watches them drive away.

"I guess it's just me and you!" Cas faces Mary. Her face brightens and she puts her finger in her mouth. He lifts her up in the air. She laughs wildly.

"Bath first, then we can have fun." Cas takes her to the kitchen. He sets up the sink for her bath. He sets her wiggling body in the warm, sudsy water.

She constantly splashes and makes a ruckus as he attempts to wash her. He is careful not to get soap in her eyes and mouth.

"You are just so energetic today, aren't you?" Cas asks in his baby voice.

Mary splashes water at him. He laughs at her antics. Once she's cleaned up Cas grabs a towel and wraps her in it. She wiggles and squirms as he carries her to her bedroom.

"Would you quit moving?" Cas sighs when he tries for the third time to put her diaper on her.

She just laughs and kicks some more. Cas finally gets it on her. Then it's time for the clothes. She keeps moving. He fights her to get her shirt on. At one point her hand goes through the head hole. But after much of a struggle, he gets it on.

"What did your father give today? A few cups of sugar?" Cas grabs her feet and shakes them. Mary thinks this is the funniest thing ever and kicks her feet into his hands. He smiles and and goes to put pants on her. She keeps kicking an trying to roll over.

"I guess you don't need pants." Cas sighs and picks up the giggling baby. All she has is a pink shirt and a diaper. She kicks her feet as he lifts her up.

Cas takes her to the living room. He sets her on the floor and sits beside her.  She watches her father with her pretty green eyes. She rolls around on the floor and scoots on her tummy.

It isn't long before she starts messing with her gums and whining. She has started teething lately.

"Are your teeth bothering you?" Cas scoops her up. None of her teeth have poked through yet, but Cas can tell they're coming.

He settles against the couch with Mary in the crook of his arm. He settles and she idly plays with the me of his shirt as they lie there. Cas flips through the channels not finally resting on some comedy show.

Mary's movements slowly stop as she falls asleep in Cas' arms. Cas' own eyes start to drift shut as his exhaustion takes hold.

He seems to be asleep for only a second when he jolts awake from a phone ringing. But it must have been a while because it it pitch black in the living room save for the tv. Cas carefully gets up, making sure Mary doesn't fall.

He picks up his cell phone. It's Benny's number, that's odd, Benny doesn't usually call Cas when he's out with Dean. Dean must have lost his phone or maybe it died.

He doesn't answer in time. He's surprised to see four other missed calls from Benny.

The phone immediately rings again. He answers quickly.

"Hello?"

"Cas, thank god you answered." Benny sighs. His voice sounds strained.

"Is everything okay?" Cas gets tense, the sound of Benny's voice puts him on high alert.

"No, no it isn't okay." Benny lets out a sob. "I don't know what happened man, one second was fine and the next, oh god."

"Benny," Cas has fear running through him. "What the hell happened?" He demands.