Chapter 25

"Crowley, what are you doing here?" Cas asks. He steps out and shuts the door behind him.

"Well, am I not allowed to be able to visit my acquaintances?" Crowley asks.

"Why are you here?" Cas asks again.

"You got me." Crowley shrugs. "Turns out you do need to repay me." Crowley grins.

"But you said-"

"I said there is a possibility I would need you. And wouldn't you know it, I do." Crowley shrugs. "Of course, you can not do it, and you will just have to pay me back all that money I spent to keep your husband alive."

What is it that I have to do?" Cas frowns. Bobby was right, this whole thing may not have been a good idea.

"It's simple really." Crowley sighs. "I just need you to go to a party."

"What kind of party?" Cas crosses his arms.

"Really, I don't want to drag you away from your daughter's party for much longer. I'll be in touch." Crowley turns on his heels and walks down to the black limo waiting for him in the street.

Cas stares after him as he drives off. Cas doesn't have a good feeling about this. He goes back inside.

"Who was at the door, babe?" Dean asks. Looks like he gave in to Charlie because she's painting his nails blue.

"No one! They were at the wrong house!" Cas plasters a false smile on his face.

"Look I chose the color of your eyes!" Dean points to the bottle of nail polish.

"That's lovely." Cas sighs.

Once their nails are painted and dry, they do presents.

Cas and Dean got Mary a play kitchen set, though she probably won't use it all that much now, a bunch of clothes, and an animal book that makes noises. Charlie and Dorothy got her a swing set. They bought separate baby swings so she can enjoy it. Balthazar got her a onesie that says "I've been further in that you ever have."

"She is never wearing that." Cas says to Dean in a low tone.

Bobby got her a toy box he hand built and decorated. Adam got her a baby doll. Jess and Sam got her a bunch of toys and books. And Gabriel gives her a bag of candy.

"I don't think that's appropriate for a baby." Dean says.

"Sure it is, kids love candy." Gabriel grins. Dean gives Cas a look that says what is wrong with your family.

Cas just smiles and shakes his head. They go on to eat cake. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves, everyone but Cas. Try as he might, Crowley stays on his thoughts. He just prays that he won't do anything that would put his life if jeopardy.

"Hey," Dean pulls Cas aside as everyone is eating cake. "Is everything okay?" Dean has noticed Cas has been distant and distracted this whole time.

"Everything is fine," Cas says, but he frowns deeply.

"No it isn't," Dean grabs Cas' hand. "Tell me what's wrong. Ever since you answered the door, you've looked very upset. What's the matter?"

"It's nothing," Cas looks away from Dean.

"Cas, you can tell me." Dean frowns.

"It's nothing! I said I was fine." Cas mutters.

"Okay," Dean nods and steps back. "I'll leave you alone then." Dean turns and goes toward Mary, who is smashing her face with pink frosting.

Cas feels terrible for not telling Dean, but he can't say anything. He never told Dean about the deal. He just told Dean the expenses were covered, they didn't need to worry about it. He never knew it would come to this. And what's worse is he's worrying about all of this on his daughter's first birthday.

"Why the long face, Cassie? Dean refuse to give you a quickie?" Gabriel smirks. Cas shakes his head. "Man, what's the matter? It's gotta be serious, you didn't even laugh at my joke." Gabriel asks.

"No-"

"Don't give me that nothing crap. I know there's something wrong. You're my brother, I know these things." Gabriel gives Cas a pointed look.

"I-" Cas sighs. "I did something stupid, and now I have to pay for it."

"Castiel, what did you do?" Gabriel groans.

"I did it for Dean." Cas murmurs. He tells Gabriel what happened.

"That was a very dumb thing for you to do!" Gabriel smacks his arm. "And Dean doesn't even know?"

"No, and I'd like to keep it that way. I don't want him to worry." Cas watches at Dean records Mary with his camera. He faces the camera toward Cas and waves. Cas smiles and waves back. The smile quickly drops once the camera moves from him.

"Are you going to do what Crowley wants?" Gabriel asks.

"Yes, I made the deal, now I have to go through with it." Cas sighs. As much as he doesn't want to, he has to. He doesn't want tone in debt to Crowley for any longer than necessary.

"Just be careful okay." Gabriel pats his back. "I like having you around and I'd like to keep it that way."

"Can do, Gabe." Cas smiles.

He shakes off this mood and plasters on a smile, going over to Dean and wrapping his arms around his waist. Mary flings pink frosting into both of them.

It's all fun and games, but Cas can't get rid of the worry in the back of his mind. Why did Crowley have to spring it on him like this, especially on this day.

By the time everyone goes home, Mary is tuckered out from all the energy she used up at the party. She's fast asleep in the crib. Dean and Cas lay together in bed.

"You wanna talk about whatever is bothering you?" Dean asks, wrapping his arms around his husband.

"No, it's something I gotta deal with on my own." Cas sighs.

"Cas, we're married, your problems are my problems too. We deal with things together." Dean huffs.

"I know, but this is something you shouldn't get into. I'm sorry." Cas rolls over, facing away from Dean. Dean lets out a breath and snuggles closer to Cas.

They both take forever to fall asleep, neither speaking. Cas wants to spill everything but doesn't. He's afraid Dean will be angry about what he did, then he will worry too much. Dean wants to press Cas, to find out the problem so he can fix it. But he doesn't speak for fear of pressing too far.

So they lay there both knowing the other is awake, but neither saying a word. Cas hopes more than anything that this all blows over soon.