six.

( 006 )

( 006 )

SHE SLID HER ARM through the sleeve of the coat. Today was the day she was going to tell her bestfriend about her baby. She walked out of her bedroom and into the living room before stepping out through the front door, closing the door softly behind her.

She pulls out her phone, unlocking it and pressing the message app. She clicks Riley's name typing out a message:

hey im coming over

She taps the send icon but a red exclamation mark pops up next to it, indicating the message didnt go through. She tries again but the same thing happens. Giving up she stuffs the phone into her pocket and begins walking down the hall of her apartment building. Once she made it out of the building she began her walk to Rileys place.

*  *  *

The girl walked up to the elevator, pressing the up arrow as she waited for it to fall to the lobby floor. Normally she'd just climb the fire escape to the bay window, but just the thought of that seemed tiring now. The light from the down arrow flickers on less than a minute later, the mechanical doors opening slowly, allowing her to step in. Aniexty flooded through her as she pressed her bestfriend's floor number and the elevator began to rise.

In the blink of an eye, the doors were opening back up and she was standing on Riley's floor. She could practically see the apartment door all the way down the hall. She began walking closer to it, her breathing growing heavier and heavier with each step she took. Before she knew it, she was standing in front of the brown door.

I can do this. I can do this, she repeated in her head.

Hesitantly, she raised her hand up to knock on the door. Her hand was shaking as she tapped on the door. She put her hand down, hoping Riley had heard the knocking and not her parents.

Clicking noises on the other side of the door were made and the doorknob began to twist before the door swung open, revealing a quirky Riley.

" Maya! Hey." She smiles.

" Hey Riles." Actually seeing her awkward bestie made her feel a little less anxious.

"Aim surprised you actually came through the front door for one. Come in." The brunette says, stepping aside, allowing space for Maya, " So, what brings you here on this fine evening ?"

" Well..." She was really hoping she wouldn't get asked that question," I wanted to share something with you." Riley raises a brow, looking to her friend's hands, noticing she wasn't holding anything.

" Vocally." Maya adds, " Lets talk in your room." Riley shuts the door and the girls walk into her room, taking a seat at the bay window.

" Okay what is it?"

Maya looked up towards the cieilng and sighed loudly. She turned her body towards Riley and before she could even realize, the words fell right out of her mouth, " I'm pregnant." Instantly Riley's face began to scrunch up.

" What ?" She says, confused by Maya's words

" I said I'm ...pregnant." She repeats. Riley's face goes blank, she doesn't say a word.

" Maya, do you even hear yourself ?" She laughs. "Nice try, I already know how babies are made and you," She pokes Maya's nose, " aren't having one." Maya bites her lip. She didn't know whether to be angry or amused that Riley didn't believe her. But all jokes aside, she needed to know it was true.

" I'm serious."

" Yeah, and I'm a dolphin." Riley jokes. Maya was getting frustrated with the girl. She knew Riley was always one for laughs and giggles but she wished she could be serious, just for once.

" Listen Matthews!" Her voice is louder, finally quieting the giggles of her bff, "I'm not joking. Not this time."

" Then wha...I don't understand."

This wasn't going at all how Maya expected. She figured Riley would be the first person to fully support her, that they would go through whatever this was together. But when Riley didn't respond things may have completely changed.

The girl sat her head on her knees, face blank and staring past Maya. Like she was completely shocked, unsure of what to say or do, and Riley felt like she always knew what to do. She was a problem solver, like her dad. But not today, because her bestfriend is pregnant.

Pregnant and nothing she can do about it.