seven.

( 007 )

( 007 )

"SO WE'RE REALLY DOING THIS HUH?" Maya sighs as they walk toward a semi-small cream colored building, the name Planned Parenthood written in bold letters on a blue sign.

"I guess we are" Josh responds as they walked through the glass double doors. Maya instantly took notice of the design of the building. Walls painted baby blue with pastel pink accents, mini shelf full of pink and blue stuffed animals, windowsills decorated with oversized pacifiers, and posters, many, many posters.

They walked up to the front desk. " Goodmorning, what may I help you with today? " said a brunette woman behind the desk, name tag reading Catherine.

" We'd like to get an abortion. " Josh said in his lowest voice, wanting only Catherine to hear. The woman's eyes widened a bit, but she nodded. " Let me just get the papers. " she says, leaving the desk for a few moments.

" How soon can I get the procedure done? " Maya questions once Catherine returns.

" Well we'd need to do an ultrasound to check how far along you are. "

" Ultrasound ?" Josh questions.

" Yes, it'll help us determine the best procedure for her." She looks to Maya, " But all that can be done today."

Maya is taken aback by the response. She figured she'd have to fill out an entire packet then wait a day or two before she could get the abortion.

" Would that be a problem for you ma'am? "

" No. " Maya answers immediately.

" Okay then I'm gonna need you to sign here. " She pushes a clipboard towards Maya, pointing at a line drawn next to an x. Maya grabs the pen attached to the side of the clipboard and writes her name in print. Maya Hart

" Thank you, Dr.Drew will be with you shortly. "
They take a seat in one of the many chairs lined up against the walls of the room as they wait.

" Are you nervous? " Maya asks, " I'm nervous. "

" Im sure it's normal to be nervous. " Josh sighs.

Maya's heart began to beat harder as she and Josh's names were called. She knew they were ready to start. As they walked through two small, similar to the ones at the front of the building, she began questioning herself.

She started think maybe she shouldn't do it. That there was still time to turn around. Should she ? She wasn't sure, she's only sixteen, she can't raise a baby..right ?

The girl is snapped out of her thoughts when they stop in front of a small room. They follow behind a woman with strawberry blonde hair. " Have a seat on this mat. " she says.

Maya does as told, and hops up on to the mat. The woman hands her a gown. " I'm gonna need you to put this on then we can get started. You can change in there if you'd like. " She points to a bathroom located inside the room. She nods, taking the gown and going into the bathroom. Stripping her clothes, she slides her arms through the sleeves of the gown and pulls it over her head then folds her clothes before heading back into the other room.

" You must be Maya. " A semi-tall man says, " I'm Dr.Drew. " he extends his hand. Maya smiles, shaking the man's hand politely and taking a seat on the mat. " Now just lay back and sit your feet on these footrests. " Dr.Drew says as he pulls up a chair.

" How long will this take? " Josh asks.

" Shouldn't be any longer than five minutes. " The strawberry blonde answers.

" Have you ever had a pap smear, Maya? " Dr.Drew looks to the girl.

" Yeah, once. "

" It'll be a similar process to that. "

The nurse turns on a machine, two lines pop up, each beating at their own rate. Maya and Josh both stare for a moment, dazed, each thinking the same thing. " Is that my baby's heartbeat? " Maya speaks her thoughts, looking at both the nurse and doctor, awaiting an answer.

They each simply nod. " Looks like you're about twelve weeks along." The nurse grabs a breathing masks and begins to sit it on Maya's face when she is interrupted.

" Wait. " Maya says with glossy eyes

" Yes ? Is something wrong? "

" I-" She looks to Josh, then back to the woman and doctor " ...I change my mind, can we stop? I don't want to do this anymore. " Josh's eyes widen at Maya's sudden change of heart. Dr.Drew isnt as surprised. He scoots his chair back a bit and says :

" Okay."

" That's fine ? I can just say that and you'll stop ?"

" Of course. This is your body Miss Hart. " He says, sitting his tools back onto the rack.

Maya sits back up, " I'm sorry for wasting your time."

" Don't worry about, it's a normal thing. "

" You mean other women go through almost an entirety of this process then decide they wanna keep the kid midway ?" The woman nods her head.

" Thank you Dr. Drew. " Josh says as he stands up, taking Maya's hand to help her get up.

" So what are we gonna do now? " Maya asks through the door as she pulls up her pants.

" We'll figure it out."