19 - The First Teacher

Chapter 19

"Now why do I have to be blindfolded?" I asked as Nael tied a knot on the handkerchief he used to cover my eyes.

I felt him help me stand up from my stool, the metal scraping the tiled floor. He led me to I don't know where. I kept holding on to his hand in case I might stumble with something and fall.

He then pulled his hand away and left me. I heard him return the stool to it's proper place. I then heard his footsteps towards me. I remained standing with my eyes covered with the handkerchief.

I suddenly heard his nails like he was scratching his skin. What is he doing? I waited for him to start talking but he didn't. Instead, he kept on scratching his skin. When I can no longer take it, I decided to talk.

"Why are you scratching your skin?" I asked irritatedly. That was when I heard him stop.

"Since when did you hear me scratch my skin?" I heard him asked.

"Since you arranged the stool," I answered and crossed my arms.

"Good," He said, and I swear I can hear a trace of pride from his voice. "Now tell me what I'm doing right now."

With that, I heard silent blows of air, like he was blowing air from his lips the slightest he can do. I quickly answered.

"Your blowing air from your lips. Trust me if your going to blow that way it'll take you years to make a perfect balloon." I answered and again I heard him chuckle.

"Impressive," He said. "And to think that I am standing across the room."

When he said that, my eyebrows quickly raised. What? He's across the room? How come I can hear the sounds he's been making like he was just beside my ear? Sure I have sensitive hearing but I can't hear that far.

"Wow," I exclaimed. "How is that possible? It sounded like you're just beside my ear."

I heard him chuckle. "What can you conclude then, Soph?"

"That an 8 year-old can blow air harder than you can?" I asked and I swear I can imagine him scowling at me.

"Nice try," He said. "I'm not kidding here, now tell me what you think."

"That I can hear very well?" I asked and he scoffed.

"All Angels can hear very well," He said. "I'm sure you noticed you can too, even before you knew you were an Angel."

He was right. Although I can hear better when he blindfolded me. Does the blindfold had something to do with my enhanced hearing? I remember my classmate in 3rd grade, she became blind but her hearing improved when she can no longer see. Is that it then?

"You're right," Nael said and I rolled my eyes at him beneath the handkerchief. There he goes again with reading my mind.

"So if you close your eyes then you would be able to hear more?" I asked.

"Correct," He said. "So lesson 1, if you want your hearing power to increase, close your eyes for a while. This will come in handy when you don't know where the attacker will be."

When he mentioned attacker, I knew then that this is serious and I have to stop with the pranks. My life might even depend on this.

"So you're finally game?" He asked playfully and I nodded, neglecting the fact that he was reading my mind again.

I nodded. "Okay." I swear I almost laughed as I can imagine a hard metal music play as I brace up.

"Okay, right now Sophia, I'm going to attack you from random positions. I want you to use your ears to find out where will I be. You be quick though, I have to get you used to the quick attacks."