35 - The Riddle

Chapter 35

I didn't wonder anymore when Mr. Sevani innocently asked the whole class why the McCalister twins were absent. Some said that they might be taking a vacation, others assumed that they just wanted a break and a few 'decent' guys at the back yelled out that Anini might've accidentally burned her hair with a curling iron and Amy, being the good twin, stayed with her with her books tucked on her arm.

Or maybe they just didn't want to be cornered with Angels.

"So much for that," Mr. Sevani stole a quick knowing glance at me and I smiled. "Turn to page 324 and I want Mr. Garcia to explain paragraph one."

When noon came, Sraosha mind linked us to have our lunch at her room. Right after buying our food, Rachiel, Rogziel, Halaliel, Rahmiel, Hamon and I went ahead. When I opened the door, Gabriel and Sraosha were having a talk in Sraosha's table. We all went in but I stopped.

There's another scent in here. Someone else is in this room, and it didn't smell like human.

As I watched the others settle down in the chairs, I slowly pulled the fork from my tray and gripped it tightly, my black shiny jacket covering my small movements. I walked slowly towards the group and at the count of three, I turned around and threw the fork where I assumed the unwanted guest was.

"Woah!!" I heard the person shout and immediately raised a chair to cover his face. The fork hit the chair where his face should be and I quickly placed the tray on the nearest chair and approached the guy.
As soon as he threw the chair away like he was allergic to it, I stopped on my tracks upon seeing who it was.

"Nael?"  I asked out and he looked at me with his eyes wide.

"Can't you at least just turn around and check who it was with your eyes only and not throw a fork the first chance you get?" He asked with his eyes still wide and he looked like he'd seen a ghost.

"I'm sorry okay?" I asked as I bent down and pulled the fork from the chair Nael used earlier. "And what are you doing here anyway? You don't study here. I really thought you were a Daimon."

"Can't at least identify the smell?" He asked and stood up from his seat. "And I'm studying here already, just to let you know," He said sarcastically.

"What?" I asked and turned around to see the group, who were all laughing. Rogziel was trying not to laugh while the others were being expressive with their amusement.

"How was I not informed with this?" I asked and Sraosha stood up.

"That's one of the reasons I asked you all to come here," She said and I nodded dismissively.

"Right," I said and turned back at Nael. "Sorry about that."

"That's it?" Nael asked as I was about to walk back to where I left my tray. "I was almost stabbed with a deadly weapon you threw at me and you're just going to apologize like that?"

I knew Nael was being playful, but I'm always here to turn him down, just like how bestfriends should. "A deadly weapon?" I asked as I raised the fork and looked closely at it. That was when Rogziel finally gave up and laughed hysterically. His laughter sent shivers down my spine, and I can't help but laugh too.

"Say you managed to hit me," Nael pouted. "You would definitely take back what you had in mind.

"Okay!" I gave up, raising my hands and hugged him. "I'm sorry for throwing a deadly weapon at you Nael, I didn't mean to."

With that, the whole group laughed.

We started eating, and Sraosha told the others about our little investigation in my room. She told them about the Twins, Eremiel being either a Swordsman or a Spear bearer or both, and me surviving their attack.