36 - The Man on The Picture

Chapter 36

"Don't you think it's a little bit suspicious for the students to suddenly have this field trip to California?" Asked Rachiel as we unloaded our bags in the table.

"They're too excited and giddy to care," I stated while opening another suitcase.

When we found that picture, Sraosha quickly informed every Angel and asked the Elders if they could solve the riddle. I don't know who the Elders are but Rogziel told me that they are the oldest and most powerful Angels that existed. When Raguel Falls, the owner of the Academy, knew about the address, he suggested that we go to the twins' house to investigate immediately. And since excusing us in the class without any explanation would arise questions, Raguel decided that our trip would be disguised as a 'School Fieldtrip' with the alibi of seeing the culture of Cali. The hidden agenda would be us going to the McCalister's house.

I didn't really like the idea of the Academy touring hundreds of students around the place because A. We don't know if Daimons don't harm humans, especially those who go to a school owned by an Angel and B. This fieldtrip costs the Academy too much, way too much for it to be just an cover-up. But hey, who was I to object? It's been a while since I've been in Cali, and plus, the hotel rooms are on the Academy. Everything is free, Falls Academy is the one who spends for every student's food and on the hotel stays and even the transportation. I don't know how Falls has that huge amount of money, and I'm not bothering to ask.

"Yeah, and that's a good thing, I guess," Rachiel replied as she jumped on the king-sized bed and rolled on her back. "But the bad thing is that we only have a week to investigate. The fieldtrip's up till Sunday."

"I'm sure we can find something," I mumbled as I closed the suitcase and placed it on the floor beside the bedside table. "But do we have to go to the trip to that museum too?"

"I don't know," She replied. "Maybe we can just ditch it and search in the twins' house instead. Besides, that's what we're really here for, right?"

I nodded and sat on the bed beside her lying body. "I'd much like to search instead of tour. I'm really intrigued on what we're going to find out about them."

"That is, if we find anything," Rachiel mumbled while raising a finger.

"We'll find something," I said and laid on the bed. "We will."

It was quiet for a while as we both stared up at the ceiling. The deal was that 2 or 3 persons share one room, depending on the size. Since we got a smaller room, it was only Rachiel and I. You might be wondering why I'm not staying with Rogziel. The professors strictly instructed that girls will stay with girls and boys will stay with boys, no funny business. So Rogziel ends up with Nael and Hamon, since they got a bigger room. Not that I would dare stay in the same room with Rogziel or even commit funny business for that matter.

"What time is it?" Rachiel asked to herself while sitting up and pulling her watch from the bedside table. "Oh, it's already 10. I'm going to go to sleep, Soph, what about you?"

I sat up and got off the bed. I smiled at Rachiel as I put on a jacket to keep off the cold. "Nah, you sleep there. I'm just going out to chill for a while."

"Okay," She answered as she rolled away from me and covered herself with the sheets. I sighed as the cold starts to bite in my skin, and I pulled my ponytail, my hair falling in waves around my neck, slightly decreasing the coldness. I then crossed my arms as I walked away from the bed and got out of the hotel room.

As soon as I was out, the bright light from the elegant chandelier on the hallway greeted me. I slightly squint my eyes as I wait for them to adjust. I then made my way to the end of the hallway, towards the small balcony.