37 - Doubt

Chapter 37

Last night I couldn't sleep.

It's like that picture haunted me, and I don't even have any idea who that man is. Rachiel was very worried for me, thinking that I might've been scared with the picture. But I denied, because I really wasn't. Let me face that man then, and I'm not going to get scared.

But I am scared. With something else. I don't know what it is but I'm scared with it, and I wanted to hit myself for feeling this way. And with the perks of having two opposite and imaginative sides made things worst.

"You still asleep?" Rachiel lightly shook me on my shoulder, causing me to open my eyes.

"Never really was," I groaned while sitting up. "What time is it?"

"Almost 7," Rachiel replied while tying her hair. She then looked at me while frowning. "You still upset with that picture?"

"Not really," I lied. "I'm fine, I just can't sleep, maybe insomnia."

Rachiel looks at me hesitantly, like she wanted to yell 'You are a terrible liar' on my face, but good thing she decided to shake the idea off and headed to the bathroom.

I got out of the table and looked outside the window. It might be a good idea to jog outside, at least divert my thoughts about that man for a while. Funny, how much impact a blurred man on a picture can do to me.

I got back to the bed and sat. I reached for my luggage that was lying under the bed and pulled it out, revealing the flat thongs and the rubber shoes that were placed on it. I took the rubber shoes and pushed the luggage back under the bed. I then changed into jogging pants and a sweatshirt and wore the shoes. I tied my hair into a ponytail and pinched my cheeks to give them back the color that the cold took away.

When I turned I saw Rachiel walking out from the bathroom and she crossed her eyebrows.

"Where you going?" She asked, sitting on the bed.

"Just going out for a run," I said. "Tell the same to the ones who will look for me."
"Okay."

As soon as I felt looks on me, probably wondering how I can keep running that long without taking a breath, I decided to stop and act like I was panting. It was even harder to act that the real panting. I felt like I still haven't run and just woke up, still blazing with energy. I want to tire myself.

I ran again, this time, going around a building, silently praising myself for choosing this quiet street with no one around. It felt so peaceful, and I can ran as fast as I can without anyone getting suspicious about it.

I ran and ran. I concentrated on my speed that I didn't notice quickly that someone was already running next to me. I glanced at the person and did a quick double take, then jumped out of the way upon seeing and realizing who it was.

I panted while trying not to look frightened at the person. "What are you doing here?"
Ouriel smirked as he rests his hands on his hips. "Just came out to jog, I mean, it's not like you own the place, right? Everyone can just jog around here?"

I sucked in a breath. "How long were you following me?"

"Just a while ago," He mumbled dismissively as he leaned on a wall of a house beside the street. "You ran really fast and don't get tired easily. If you don't keep that down people are going to start asking questions."

Speaking of people. Damn. I should've just went somewhere else where there are a lot of people. It doesn't matter if I have to pretend like I was running out of breath every now and then, at least I won't have this Daimon following me. But being the ultimate dumb I was, chose this empty street with the houses looked like they were owned by vampires who sleep in the morning and only wake up at night. Why do the people have to disappear when they are needed?