Calls to Home

Another upload? In two days time? I think I deserve a vote, don't you? LOL. Anyway, it's short, a little rushed and the last one you'll be getting for another week or so. I wasn't going to post this now but I figured I would give you guys something to read. 

Comment, vote and fan.

*******************************************************************************************************

Chapter Ten

“I’m back!” I sang as I entered my dad’s home. I put the few things I had bought down by the stairs so that I would remember to take them up with me then went to the kitchen. I found my dad there whispering things into his phone. Once he spotted me he quickly said goodbye then disconnected the call.

“Hi Sweetheart, how was your day?” he asked.

I eyed him sceptically, “Who were you taking to?” I asked.

He laughed nervously, kind of like the way Grace did earlier, “Oh just a customer who won’t pay the price I have set.”

“Then why did you finish the call when you saw me?”

“No reason, he was just really getting on my nerves,” he replied. I could tell he was lying, but I didn’t push it. He was keeping something from and so was Grace. And Julian too. Who knew, maybe Chase was too, everyone here seemed to have their own secret. But it’s not like I could force them to tell me, none of my friends know why I’m here so it would be pretty hypocritical of me to get upset.

“Whatever, anyway, what’s for dinner?” I asked him changing the subject.

“Your favourite,” he hinted.

“Lasagne?” I asked eagerly.

He nodded, a smile spreading across his lips, “Yup. I figured since you didn’t get to enjoy it the last time I made it I should make it again.”

“Aww, thank you dad,” I cooed giving him a hug.

“How about you get the table set?”

I nodded my head and did as I was asked.

***

“Since you’re going to New York in a few months I thought that maybe I could go with you and stay for a few weeks. I could present a few of my paintings in one of my friend’s galleries. Expand my horizon,” my dad told me as he put his fork down. “What do you think?”

I swallowed the food that was in my mouth. I laughed nervously, “Uh… about that. I didn’t want to say anything in front of Julian but, I’m not going to Columbia dad.”

He blinked, “Why not? You do know that this isn’t an everyday opportunity, right?”

“I know. But I just don’t want to.”

“Why don’t you want to. No one wastes an opportunity like that for no reason.”

I sighed, “Before I didn’t want to go because I didn’t want to leave mom on her own then when she left, I couldn’t because I didn’t have the money for that kind of place,” I told him.

My dad looked at me slightly hurt, “You could always ask me for some. You know that. I know we haven’t seen each other much in the past few years but I’m still your dad. It’s the least I can do to make up my absence to you.”

I half-smiled, “I know, but I don’t want you wasting your money on a school like that. I could always go to a community college. Besides, now that I finally know what it feels like to have a father again, I don’t want to leave. Not yet anyway.”