Chapter 1

I'm Violet, Violet Cruz. My father and mother were born in Mexico, but I was born in California. After my mom left us for someone better, my dad spiraled into the big mess he is now.

I can't blame him, even after his actions took a turn for the worst. I managed to live through every day and imagine my life is amazing, although it's complete shit.

As for myself, my mother always use to tell me that I was this breath taking miracle. But I sure didn't feel like it when she left us for a wealthy businessman.

I have hazel eyes, a button nose, almond shaped eyes, and one hell of a attitude towards life. My hair, ironically, is a medium purple color and travels all the way down to my bottom. You're probably wondering, how the hell can one just dye their hair purple in a time like this?

Before my family was broken to pieces, my mom worked as a hair stylist, and since she up and left her job as well, I thought what the hell all this stuff can't go to waste.

Everything in California in the 60's was so bright and in your face. Since moving to Tulsa, it's more layed back and muted. Imagine what the kids will think of me and my style.

My wardrobe consisted of high waisted jeans, and white and black tank tops that I cut in half. My leather jacket is something I always wear because I feel tough wearing it.

Our new house is quite small, just three bedrooms and one bathroom. Nothing fancy because my dad was basically broke. I knew I had to start looking for a job right away if I wanted to have food in my stomach.

After we settled into our home my dad was already cracking into the beer we brought with us. It pained me to see him like this. He always had this look like he gives up on himself, with me included. He always smelt like alcohol. Nothing could bring his old self back. We hardly talked anymore, because what's there to talk about? Exactly! Not a damn thing. He picked his room and that was that, we parted ways until he was ready to take his frustration out on me.

I took a seat on our front door steps and laced up my converse. Dad enrolled me in school already, and I started tomorrow. I felt kinda nervous, but more so curious. What are the kids like here?

I wipe my bottom just in case I sat on something. On our way over, I spotted a diner called 'The Dingo'. That's where I'm going to get a job, it seems nice enough and close to home. I started walking in that direction and stepped on all the cracks on the sidewalk on my way there.