Chapter 8

Violet's POV
Maybe my shift at the Dingo tomorrow will help me clear my head. I took a quick shower and changed into a long t-shirt and my lace underwear because I didn't want to wear pants or shorts. I let my hair hand down and I wet a cloth and pressed it against my mouth. My lip was busted open at the corner and it was turned purple. The cloth helped and after I was done cleaning my lip I layed down and enjoyed being away from my dad. I heard a little tap on my window. I groaned and picked myself up to go check. "Darry", I said aloud. I opened my window and there he was. "What are you doing here", I asked. He cupped my face, "Violet did he just do this to you", he whispered gently touching my lip. "Here it's super cold outside, come in, but quietly", I whispered. He slowly slid inside and I shut my window. He looked around my room. "It smells like strawberry in here", he chuckled. I tugged at the bottom of my shirt feeling a little exposed. "Why did you come", I pressed. He turned to look at me. "To make sure you're ok, and because I knew I'd never think straight without knowing you're safe", he said. I smiled at him and looked at my bed, "You can sleep here tonight, come on", I said motioning him over. I layed back down and I watched as he took off his leather jacket and shoes. He was wearing a tight black tank top and sweat pants. I grabbed his hand and pulled him onto the bed and cuddled into him. "This is what you get Darry, I'm a huge fan of cuddling", I giggled into his chest. I felt him wrap his arms around me and pull me closer.

"I don't mind at all", he murmured already dosing off. I pulled the blanket over us and I felt myself drift off to sleep.

____

I woke up and Darry was gone and my window was still open by a crack. He probably left I thought. I got up and changed into some high waisted black pants and a plain white shirt and my converse. I pulled my hair into a high ponytail and put my hoops on.
For makeup I just applied concealer to cover up my bruises and filled in my eyebrows. I finished everything up with eyeliner and mascara.

I grabbed my purse and quietly left my room. My dad was drinking his whiskey. He burped and turned to look at me. "And where the hell do you think you're going", he yelled. I walked past him and opened the front door. "To my job", I mumbled walking out and shutting the door. I started walking fast down the street and I made sure he didn't come after me.

____

I entered the Dingo and the first thing I smelt was hamburger. "You made it", the manager said. He grabbed an apron that looked so adorable, almost like a dress. I slipped it on and grabbed a notepad and pen.

"Got any experience", he asked. I smiled and clicked the pen. "I worked as a waitress for 4 years, I started when I was 13", I said.

"Great, good luck on your first day, you're hours are posted for the rest of the week", he said pointed to a door that said employees only.

__________

I did awesome, people left good tips and I got lots of wonderful compliments about being pretty and having cool hair.

After my shift was over I grabbed a burger and fries to go for my dad and I left work.

The weather was nice out and I decided to go for a walk after I got home because I also didn't want to be in the house with my dad for the rest of the day.

I opened my front door and my dad was passed out on the floor next to a bunch of empty containers of chips. I groaned because I knew I had to clean up his mess.

I placed his food on the counter and quietly cleaned his mess. I hated how this is what it comes to every day. I threw everything in the trash and I turned back around and almost pissed myself when my dad was awake, eating the burger and fries I got him.
"Where did you get this from", he said muffled from the food in his mouth.

"I got it at this place called the Dingo", I murmured. He finished the food and threw the trash on the ground. "Pick it up, I'm done. Also, you left the tv on", he said raising his voice. He lunged forward and slapped me across the face. I looked away and broke down inside.

"But I didn't even watch tv, you left it on", said rubbing my cheeks. He pushed me and started kicking my sides and punching me. I screamed because my rib was already broken. He pulled me by the hair, "Don't you ever talk back to me again you worthless excuse of a daughter", he shouted. He stormed out and left the house.

I punched the wall and screamed, "I hate you", I shouted at no one.
I wiped my tears and gathered myself together and ran into my room. I ripped off my clothes and took a shower. A long shower where I cried my heart out.
____

After I got dressed into some high waisted jeans and a cropped long sleeve shirt. I put on my black heels and my hoop earrings. I let my hair dry curly and I applied my daily makeup.

Maybe I can go and visit the gang. I left my house and started the walk to the Curtis house.
It was chilly outside so I'm glad I put on a long top. I was about to reach their gate when Ponyboy stormed out of his place. "Ponyboy", Darrel yelled. Ponyboy ran past me in a flash.

"Darrel what happened", I asked worried. Sodapop looked upset and ran a hand through his greasy hair. "I hit him", he mumbled.

This made me so angry, I was shocked as well. "Violet don't think me any different", he said softly trying to touch me. I stepped back. "Don't touch me", I stuttered taking a step back. I started running towards the direction Pony ran in. "Violet I didn't mean to hurt him", Darrel yelled.

I can run pretty fast in tall heels. I caught up with Ponyboy. "Pony", I hollered. He turned around and he had tears in his eyes. "Come here", I cooed opening my arms.