Chapter 18

Violet's POV
*3 month later*

I've been doing things with Dallas these past months, he's fun to hang with. "Dally that's not fair, I'm pregnant and I can't run", I wined waddling into the market trying to catch up.

"Hurry, before those doors open and all hell breaks loose", he said.
"They're just children who want chips Dal", I laughed grabbing a whole bunch of bags. I grabbed cheetos and lays, even Doritos.

The bell dinged to the market door and we hurried over to the cashier. "Will that be all", she said. "Yes mam", I said handing her 5$.

All the elementary kids ran inside and were instantly upset. "What no fair", someone shouted.
Dallas grabbed my hand and we kinda ran out of the place. "Lets do that again", he cheered turning back around. I grabbed his arm and dragged him towards my car.

"That's enough cheatin kids out of chips Dal", I laughed. We got inside my car and put the chips in the back seat.

___

When we got to my house we parked in my driveway and talked inside my car. "So, what's your favorite pregnancy snack", Dallas asked already eating his chips.

"I like to eat cucumbers with lemon and chili", I said. He looked so grossed out. "I used to eat that kind of stuff growing up. If you didn't know I'm Mexican", I said.

He looked so surprised, "What? Really?", he asked. "My last name is Cruz", I stated.

"I've never tried Mexican food", he added finishing his chips.
I grabbed his hand. "No way. I have to cook it now. Come on", I said excited tugging his arm.

"Alright, but if it's not good I'll spit it out", he joked.

____

We grabbed the rest of the chips and put them away in my pantry.
I grabbed the ingredients to make carne asada tacos. My mom used to make them when we barbequed on the weekends.

Dallas sat down at the table and watched me cook.

Once I finished, I set the plate of tacos in front of him.
"What's this colorful stuff", he said poking it. "That's Picco De Gallo", I said.

"So I just put it on this", he said picking up the taco.

I watched as he took his first bite, his eyes lit up and he ate the whole thing in seconds. "That was tasty. You have to make this for the gang", he asked.

"Hmm one day. Maybe I'll make lots of things", I said.

He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and cleaned his plate. "I could've cleaned that", I said. "Nope, you cooked, I can clean", he said.

I felt the baby kick, "I can't wait to see what the baby is", I said happily.

"Probably a boy", he said finishing up cleaning. I thought about it, and I wouldn't mind having either. "Probably a girl", I added.

"The baby is due any day", I said. He took a seat next to me and he looked like he was going to tell me something important.

"Wanna go for a walk Violet", he asked me randomly. I thought about it and the weather was nice today. "Sure, let's go", I said.

____

We just decided to take the way to the Curtis house. "So how did you get out of going to school", he asked me.

"They let me get my diploma early after Johnny passed. I hardly left the house during that time and I mostly slept and cried, finished all my school stuff early", I said.

He smiled down on me, "You know Violet, you sure are something else", he laughed. "Hmm yeah, I try", I said.

We turned the corner and walked inside their gate and knocked on the door. "Hey", Sodapop said. "Come on in, Darry just finished frosting a cake", he said.

We walked on in and everyone was talking and they said hello. "It's like every time I see you, you get bigger", Two Bit joked.

I punched him in the arm. "Damn you got a good punch", he said. "Yup, keep them comments coming sugar, there's more", I laughed.

Steve was devouring a slice of chocolate cake with his hands, there wasn't a plate in sight. "Steve, why aren't you using a plate", I asked.

He looked at the chocolate frosting all over his hands.
"It's quicker, and I'm a pig remember that", he said snorting.

"Okay, can you at least wash your hands", I asked. He groaned and managed to stand up. "Yes mommy", he said.

I chuckled and he walked to the kitchen to wash off.

"Violet, do you know the gender yet", Evie asked me. I turned to look at her and I smiled. "No, I wanted it to be a surprise", I said.

"That's awesome, it's like two surprises at once", she said. "Yeah you're right", I said.

I sat down on the sofa slowly inching my way down. Once I was sitting I rested my hands on my belly.

All the guys left the living room and went into the kitchen. "I wonder what they're talking about", I said to Evie.

"I know, they've all been up to something", she concluded.

This somehow made me think about how Dallas was going to tell me something important later.

"I think I'm going to go home now. Tell the guys I was feeling nauseous", I said.

"Ok, be safe, I'll see you", Evie said.

___

I started the walk home and it got a little cold. I walked fast and a nice looking car drove up next to me.

"You're that broad who was with that filthy greaser", the guy said.
"Piss off, at least he's not trash like you", I shot back.

"Randy is back in town, and he's looking for you", the guy said.
I walked faster and they got out of their car and chased me.

It was hard to run because of my stomach and I felt them gaining on me. I should've stayed longer at the Curtis house.