Chapter 7

Violet's POV
"Who did this to you", Darry asked angrily. "I don't know what you're talking about", I mumbled. He ripped the jacket from my hands and cupped my face. We were both staring at each other.

"You know what I'm talking about, what sick bastard did this", he asked. "It's not even bad, I'm fine", I said calmly.

"Not bad, Violet you have a black eye and a broken nose", he stammered. I took his hands off my face. "This is why I didn't want to come, this is why I wanted to leave. It's sad and embarrassing", I said looking away from him.

"No it's not. You have us, the gang. We're always here for you, because you're one of us now", he said. I shook my head and I grabbed my jacket. "Don't, I want to see your beautiful face", he whispered. I looked at him and felt tears prick my eyes, "I don't feel it, having to cover up this mess everyday with makeup. Dying my hair, and my clothes", I huffed. He just smiled at me, "Well you know what I think, you're hair is amazing, and your clothes are cool. But you are always beautiful in my eyes nonetheless. Now tell me who did this", he demanded.

"I can't ok, just leave it be", I whispered. He grabbed my hand. "I don't like seeing you like this Violet, is there something going on at home, is Bob bothering you, I'll kill him", he growled. I sighed and looked at my shoes. "It's not Bob, yet anyways. I just never talk about it to anyone", I said looking at him. Darry scooted next to me and held my hand.

"I'll tell you my story and you can tell me yours", he suggested. I smiled at him, "Alright", I said.
He leaned back and layed down, I did the same laying next to him.
"A couple years ago, Pony, Soda and I lost our parents. The train killed them, and I remember not knowing what to do, what would happen. I was already 18 and the court said if we behave I can keep my brother's. It was hell getting by, but I work my ass off every day to pay bills and put food on the table. My pa always knew I'd grow up to be a leader, protector. All three of us get by every day by just loving each other and hoping for the best", he said smiling at the stars. "Wow, you're such a good brother, they're lucky", I said smiling at him.
"I try", he said laughing. I poked his arm. "Let's hear yours huh", he said. I took a deep breath.

"Well, I grew up in California with my parents, and I thought everything was perfect, but then my mom quit her job and I came home from school one day and all her stuff was gone. My dad told me she left us for a rich business man. That day was when my life changed for the worse. When the divorce was final, she took all our money. My dad fell into this self loathing period and picked up on alcohol. I remember the very first time he hit me. I locked myself in my bathroom and cried for hours, hating myself, hating life. It all got worse right before we moved here, he blew all our rent money on beer so we got kicked out and he decided to move to Tulsa.
Now here we are, struggling but making it. Me dealing with his drunk behavior. So if you're wondering still, my Dad did this to me. He got me after I came home yesterday from your house. It hurt like hell, but I still press on and see the good in any bad situation", I mumbled touching my nose. Darry grabbed my hand and turned to face me. "I'm so sorry darlin, I can't imagine what that's like for you. Come live with me", he asked so suddenly. I sat up and stopped him right there. "Thanks but I can't, my dad is crazy he'll find me", I said. Darry grabbed my hands. "You'll be safe with us", he said. I pulled away, "How can I be so sure of that Darry", I mumbled.

He took a piece of my hair in between his fingers, "Because I can protect you", he whispered.
I was so touched by his offer and kind words. "I barely met you Darry", I added. He shook his head, "And it feels like I've known you forever Violet. When I first saw you I was awestruck. You're so beautiful and I just stared at you like I knew I couldn't lose you. Your voice puts me in a good mood, and I can't stand to hear what your dad is doing to you", he said angrily.

I put on my jacket and thought about it. "You're a good person Darry. I can't let you get yourself into my mess of a life, I couldn't do that to you okay. I just want to go home now", I said pressing my back against the car. He ran a hand through his hair and left it at that.

___

They dropped me off and I said goodbye to everyone making sure to shield my face. Darry was clearly upset but I had to stay.

I shut my the door and noticed that my dad was sleeping with a beer in his hand. I walked over and grabbed it and put it on the coffee table and shut off the tv. "Where were you, dumb broad", he boomed. I shrieked and turned to face him. "Oh gross you look like shit", he shouted. This angered me so much, "You're the one that did it", I yelled back. He thrusted his hand forward and hit me in the mouth. "Don't you talk to me like that ungrateful swine. I'll keep on doing it to", he screamed. I backed up and walked away from him and towards my room. I slammed my door shut and locked it.