Chapter 2

Violet's POV
The Dingo was nice, and teens were spread out through it. I walked over to the cash register and started talking to the guy behind the counter about a job.

"We do have an opening, we need a waitress cause the last one quit on us", he started. I smiled and mental cheered, "Do I have to fill anything out", I asked him. "Nope, you look to be in high school, you start Saturday, at 12pm, don't be late", he said walking back into what was probably the kitchen. I felt all excited about it. That was easy, maybe I'll like this town after all, I thought.

____

On my way back home I noticed it was a little windy and I zipped up my leather jacket a little bit more somehow hoping to stay warm. I tucked my hands in my pockets and kicked at some stray rocks on the sidewalk. I heard a scream in the distance. I thought about running over and seeing what was wrong, but my house is literally a street away. But then, they screamed again. I started running towards the voice.

I was pretty fast considering I played football with my dad all my life before he turned into a bum.
There was a big patch of grass and a jungle gym. Some guys were beating up on someone. I ran over and didn't think twice before yelling. "Leave him alone", I shouted. One of them turned around, "Haha look Bob, a little greasey broad", he said earning a laugh from both his friends. Now I was mad. "I said leave the guy alone", I spat. This 'Bob' guy stepped in front of his friend and he got in my face, but that had no effect on me. "There's three of us and one of you, now let's see how this'll play out dumb grease", he whispered angrily in my ear. I pushed him away from me and then his friends grabbed me. What came next knocked the wind out of me. My cheek hurt and I felt blood on my lips. He was wearing rings and that was a cheap shot. "So you have to wear rings huh, wimp", I said laughing at how pathetic he was. I wiggled out of their grip and kicked that Bob guy in the junk. His scream filled the street. His friends went to help him and they all piled into his car and drove away. I didn't care about my well being because I wanted to make sure that kid was alright. I tapped his cheek. "Hey pal, are you alright. Can you move", I asked. He was crying and I looped my arm around him and helped him up. "Gee thanks for that", he sniffled looking away from me so that I couldn't see him cry. "You don't have to be embarrassed. Real men cry you know", I said reassuring him. He gripped my arm. "Are you ok", he asked me. He looked horrible, his face was already bruising and I made sure he was okay.

I helped him home and the walk there we got to know each other.
"My name's Johnny, Johnny Cade", he mumbled taking a deep breath. "It seems like it hurts to talk, are you sure you don't want me to take you to the hospital", I asked nervously. "I'm good, what's your name", he asked.

"Violet Cruz", I simply said. "I've never seen you around", he stated. "I just moved here actually. Live a couple streets down", I said pointing in the direction of my house. "Well this is my place, thanks for saving me back there Violet", he said with a forced smile, because of the pain.

___

When I got home that night Dad greeted me to a slap to the face. "Where were you, it's late", he shouted. I rubbed my cheek, "I was at the park, I didn't realize it was getting late", I mumbled. He punched me and I collapsed into the wall. "That's bull, you filthy broad", he stammered taking a drink of his beer.

I picked myself up and he grabbed me by the hair and dragged me across the floor. I screamed and he still didn't even care. "You didn't cook me dinner, damn worthless broad", he cursed taking his last drink and passing out in the couch. I didn't look twice at him before getting up and scurrying to my room.

I slammed my door shut and literally passed out on my bed.