Chapter 21

Violet's POV
We both walked back downstairs to the kitchen and Randy was making grilled cheeses. He set three plates down.

He looked at me and did a double take. I felt like maybe I had something on my face.

"Um, I made lunch", he said.
I took a seat next to Nana. "Thanks honey", she said.

I smiled, "Thanks", I said. I took a bite and it tasted good. I was the first to finish and I felt like Randy was staring at me.

I took a sip of my water and looked back at him. "I just wanted to tell you about my shoes. I appreciate it, they've never been this clean", I said with a laugh.

For once. In all the time I've known him, he smiled. "No problem", he said.

Nana finished up and was going to get up to clean our dishes but I stopped her.

"Here let me, it's the least I can do", I said politely.
She looked so happy and she looked at Randy.

I grabbed his plate and walked over to the sink and started cleaning them.

Randy's POV
I don't know what's going on with me. When I saw her with the Daisy in her hair and the dress. It's like I forgot about what Bob.

The way Violet smiled and how she was polite with my mom. They get along so well.

When she went to clean our dishes my mom swatted my arm. "Ouch", I hissed.

"What was that for", I asked. My mom gave me her signature 'I'm judging you' look.

"How could you let such a sweet, beautiful, polite girl like her slip right through your fingers. Now she's with someone else, carrying their child", she whispered.

I groaned, "Mom, she's not dating anyone. The father of the baby died ok", I blurted.

My mom sat back in her chair and silenty gasped. "Poor sweetie, that was probably hard for her. Randy you treat her nice", my mom ordered.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't you think I know that Ma. She was there when Bob died", I added.

My mom straightened up, "You know I never liked that boy, he had horrible manners. He broke your sisters heart and he beat up that one kid", she said sadly.

I pulled on my hair, "I know Ma. But Bob was my best friend", I said. She scoffed. "Getting you in trouble and ordering you around, having you take the blame for all his foolishness. Getting you put in jail for his mistakes. That's not the boy I raised", she said.

"You helped that Bob hurt the poor kid. I was so disappointed", she whispered. I glanced over at Violet, she was humming some tune.

"Ma, that kid... He was her boyfriend", I said now feeling ashamed. What was his name? Johnny! I didn't even know him, and I beat him up.

She looked sick. "And she has the strength to look you in the eyes. How could you", my mom said tearing up.

"I'm sorry Ma. I get it now", I whispered. She grabbed my hand. "Randy honey, did you kill that boy", she asked quietly getting serious now.

I got up from my chair. "Now that's one thing about me. I may have beat him up, but I'm no killer", I stuttered.

"He's telling the truth Nana", Violets soft voice said from behind me.

Violet's POV
Randy looked at me and he actually seemed sympathetic, which was shocking.

Nana grabbed my hand, "You don't have to tell us sugar", she said calmly.

I smiled and took a seat. "It's fine, it's been about 8 months", I said.
Randy was looking at me.

"My boyfriend and his friend left town, because my boy killed a guy. He didn't want to, but that guy was drowning my friend in the fountain at the park", I said.

His mom looked deep in thought. "My boyfriend got caught up in a church fire like a city over and the last time I talked to him was in the hospital", I said.

She squeezed my hand. "He didn't mean to kill Bob", I whispered. Nana was crying now and she hugged me. I hugged her back.

Randy coughed and I saw tears in his eyes too. I knew it all along, he's no hard ass.

"You poor thing. How are you even friends with Randy", she asked. I pulled away and wiped my face. "Well, we---", I was interrupted.

"Mom, we're not friends", he confessed. Nana was confused.
Randy looked guilty as ever. "I broke into her house yesterday night and kidnapped her. I locked her in the basement", he said.

Nana got up and she looked like she was going to puke. "My friends and I tied her up, and kept her down there over night. I told her that I was going to take her baby for what happened to Bob", he confessed.

I felt this weight being lifted off my chest. I got up slowly and took a big drink of my water.
"How could you do that to her Randle. That's a pregnant girl you hear. What kind of lunatic kidnaps a sweet girl and threatens to take something so close to her away", Nana shouted.
"Ma, I know. I don't know what I was thinking, I was drunk. When I was cleaning her shoes is when I realized I messed up ok", he said.

I rubbed my belly and watched as the truth unraveled. "Violet I'm so sorry. I was stupid. Getting revenge isn't right. Bob was a horrible person and I see that now", he said.

Nana looked so disgusted by her son. I mean I would too, if my son plotted all that.

"Please don't take my baby", I whispered. Nana stormed over and hugged me. "My son isn't doing nothing. Everything will be fine", she said rubbing my back.

"Violet, can you ever forgive me. I apologize for hitting you too", he said.

Nana threw her hands in the air in exasperation. "Really", she shouted.