Chapter 2

Just then, the rest of the teens come in, the boy at the front. No one really takes any note of me, except of course for the boy who is still glaring at me.

"Niall!" Audrey squeals, her high pitched voice right in my ear. 

She starts squirming her legs and I stop running, gently letting her down. She runs over to the boy with the never ending glare or as she calls him, 'Niall' and into his arms. He stops scowling at me long enough to pay attention to Audrey, and breaks out into a real smile as she starts talking to him.

I start picking up all of the letters that are scattered on the ground and shoving them back into the box. I stand up with the box back in my arms and the teens start reaching in and grabbing a letter. Once each one has a letter, they all disperse into sections of the room.

Silence fills the big room as everyone reads their letters. Some people are reading in groups, others are curled up in corners alone. I look around the room, trying to see if anyone has my letter but I can't tell. Niall is the first one to get up and he saunters over to me.

"You can leave now." He harshly states. 

"Fine." I spit back. Audrey runs up to me, hugging my legs.

"Don't go Brinley!" She begs.

"I gotta go Audrey."

I lightly kiss her forehead and she pouts, running over to Niall.

"Niall! Tell her not to leave!" Niall picks her up but doesn't say anything.

"Thanks for the letters." He finally mumbles. I give a little smile, more for Audrey then anything.

I walk out the back door, and head around the building back to my car. I hop inside and try to shrug off Niall's mean attitude but it's like he personally hates me, although I have no idea why. I just shrug my shoulders and pull out of the driveway to start driving home. Once I get home, my little sister, Sammy tackles my waist, hugging me tightly.

" Brinley, I love you, so much. You're my favortiest sister ever."

I chuckle and bend down. "No Sammy, you can not open my present early." She pouts and runs into the kitchen. I give a smile, following the loud stomps.

A few hours later and everyone is passed out, too full of cake to even talk. Sammy's birthday princess tiara has slipped over her eyes. I take a quick picture before my parents carry her upstairs. I kick my older brother,Rider, and he grumbles, cracking one eye open at me. He's home for Sammy's birthday. As of now, he's enrolled at CSU so he comes home once a month to see us. 

I nod my head towards my parents and he grudgingly obliges. I hop in his arms and he carries me to my room, plopping me down. 

"Goodnight B." He whispers and kisses my forehead. 

I smile and wrap my legs up to my chest, sleep overcoming my body.

**Niall**
I watch Brinley's retreating back as she leaves the building and let out a little sigh as the door shuts behind her. I tuck the envelope I recieved into my back pocket, set on taking my future into my own hands. I sidestep a few people sprawled on the floor, trying my best to not crush anyone's fingers. I make my way into one of the many offices here. Audrey's mom looks up from stacks of paperwork and gives me a smile.

"Niall."  Her southern twang lightly resonates in her tone. She's a classic southern belle. "So I hear those letters from that fancy high school arrived today."

"Stacy, I was wondering if I can enroll in college." I state, bothering to not beat around the bush.

Fun fact, they tell me that before the incident I was two grades higher in school than the average student.

"Well cutie pie, no college is going to want you without you taking your ACT and SAT. I advice you study for those, take them, and score higher than Dwight Howard's rebound percentage," I smile at that. " and soon enough you'll be walking through the doors of Harvard."

I smirk, as if. At least I got my high school diploma before the incident, or I'd be screwed.

"Thanks Stacy."

"Ain't nothing but a thing sweetheart. I'm just glad you're getting your life back on track. Audrey's gonna be so proud of you, as will I."

I leave her office, fingering the letter in my pocket. It's amazing how just a few words can change your mindset. I walk into the Great Room where a few kids are still lingering about. Being one of the oldest here has it's perks. I get authority, privacy, and my own bunk bed. With ease, I shoulder it back into the corner where it normally resides. The little kids had insisted that we all have a tea party and shove our beds together. What fun that was.

I climb on the top bunk and stuff the letter under my mattress where all my valuables are kept ; money, pictures, and drawings from Audrey. That little girl, she's my sunshine. She made me realize that drugs, drinking, and even a bit of self - harming aren't worth it. She's my escape from the pain, even at her young age.

I don't think that she realizes she saved my life when she was only four. Audrey had read my suicide note by accident and asked, "Where are you going? Are you gonna be back soon? Can I come with you?" I had started crying and that's when she became my own therapist. Speaking of the Devil, Audrey clambers up onto my bunk bed.

"Whatcha wanna do?" She asks.

"Sleep."

"Okay!"

It's only 9:30 but I'm already exhausted. "Hey aren't you supposed to be home by now?" I ask.

She snuggles into my chest and replies, " It's not home if you're not there."

I can feel my heart melting. I feel like the Grinch when his heart grows 3 sizes. I'm definitely not romantic at all, but that right there was just adorable. Once I hear her soft snores, I climb down with her in my arms and deposit her in her mom's.

"Thanks Niall." She whispers.

I nod and head back to bed. By now most of the rug rats have gone to sleep. I spot a few of the older kids eating, or whispering quietly amongst themselves. It's not much, but it's the closest we all have to a home.

Oh and if you could check out my new series, 'Imagines' - they're just imagines of all the boys - that'd be awesome! Thank you!