Chapter 14

NIALL'S POV

What the hell was she doing at dark on the highway? Dozens of scenarios run through my head while I search for her car on the highway. I finally spot her Jeep right where she said she was. I hop out of my car, leaving the engine running and jog up to her window. She's asleep. I open the door and turn off the car, taking the keys into my pocket. I unbuckle her seatbelt and carry her to my car, sitting her in the passenger seat.

She was in no condition to drive and like hell I was going to leave my car here. Do I bring her back to the shelter or to her house? Should I wake her up and ask her? I go back onto the highway and debate which option would be better. I finally decide on going to her house, except for the little reason that I have no idea where the fuck she lives.

I go to wake her up and ask but she looks like she needs her sleep more than anything. She trembles in her sleep, tears drying on her face. Something definitely happened and I hope she tells me. Minutes later, we arrive at the shelter. I carry her into the big room, laying her on my bed, bottom bunk. Then I lay down on the ground, snatching a pillow off the floor. I'm just about a foot from her face, and I examine her intricate features.

Her lips are slightly pouted, and her hands are balled up under her chin. She draws her knees up into her arms and starts softly snoring. I smile and close my eyes, just about to drift off to sleep.

I feel my fingers opening up slightly and I watch her thread her fingers through mine. Her brown eyes are wide open, staring at me intently.

"Thanks Niall." She whispers. I nod back and close my eyes, this time falling asleep without disturbance.

BRINLEY'S POV

I groan and grab my phone with one of my hands. It's been buzzing like crazy for probably the past ten minutes. I check the time, 3:45. In the morning. I slip my hand out of Niall's and then sit up, missing the top of the bunk bed by centimeters. I step over Niall's sleeping body and creep out one of the doors. I shiver, wishing I brought a blanket.

My mom has texted me ten times and left three voicemails. I mean I expect her to be worried about me but it's not like this is the first time I haven't shown up in my bed. I dial her number and hold my breath, waiting for her shouts.

"Hello?" She snaps.

"Hey mom."

"Brinley, Justin gave me a call saying that you cheated on him." That snitch.

"Um, yeah about that ...."

"Is it because of Niall?" She asks.

"It wasn't his fault!" I cry out.

"I told you I didn't want you to hang around him anymore but you go straight behind my back and do anyway. Now where are you, at Grace's?"

I couldn't lie to her, Justin would probably find out somehow and then tell my mom again.

"No. I'm at Niall's."

"Come home right now Brinley. You're grounded."

"I can't exactly do that. My car is on the highway."

"What?!"

"I almost crashed and then I called Niall to come pick me up."

"Why didn't you call me?" Her tone softens just a notch.

"I knew that you would find someway to blame it all on Niall and then you would go all ape shit on me." I slap my hand over my mouth. I can't believe I just said that. But damn it was funny. I try to stifle a few of my giggles but I can't.