Chapter 23

BRINLEY’S POV

“Your angry or nervous. Is it because of what you said earlier this morning? Because-” Niall cuts me off with a quick kiss to my lips. 

“No. It’s not that. I just have some things on my mind, but it’s nothing to be concerned about.” Lies. Lies. Lies. I’ve never seen something like this bug him that much, and it looks like he could go take on the Hulk. The truth will come out eventually but I’m just worried what effect it’ll have on my life.

Niall kisses my knuckles and pulls out of the parking lot, on the way to the hospital. We park in Visitors and I start to climb out.
“Hey I have to make a phone call. Wait for me inside the lobby?” He asks, pulling out his phone. 

I nod and walk outside, shoving my hands into my pockets. 

NIALL’S POV

I dial Wesley’s dad’s number. 

“Hey, we’re coming inside now. Is it alright if you’re waiting outside the door?”

“You’re going to burn in hell.” He replies. 

“I’ll see you there.” I hang up on him. 

With every second, the guilt weighs heavier and heavier on my shoulders. I don’t know if I can follow through with this. I think. Oh wait, the stupid. Fucking. Oath. Of course I need to do this. WIthout it, the consequences - I can’t even finish the thought. I step outside and into the hotel. I grasp Brinley’s hand in mine and make my way up to the elevator. 

“Oh I’m so glad I get to see Wesley again. I mean I know she won’t talk to me, but that’s alright. I was thinking maybe I could watch the Little Mermaid with her again.” Brinley is bouncing on the balls of her feet in the elevator.

 I spit out a fake smile towards her, watching as the doors pull apart. Brinley runs down the hallway to Wesley’s room, leaving me behind in her excitement. I round the corner and see Wesley’s family standing outside the door. Here we go. 

BRINLEY’S POV

I run down the hallway, excited beyond belief to see Wesley. I’m stopped in my tracks once I see Wesley’s family standing outside her door together, crying. What the hell? I run up to Wesley’s parents, Joseph and Samantha.

“Is Wesley okay? What’s wrong with her?” I ask, hysteria leaking into my voice. 

“Wesley, my baby, oh Wesley!” Is all Samantha can say. I turn to Joseph, tears starting to pool in my eyes. 

“Tell me what happened right now.”

“Wesley died a few hours ago.” He says. Time seems to go in slow motion. This is worse than realizing that she’ll die soon. This is worse than realizing I’ll never get to talk to her again. This is worse than everything I’ve ever experienced. Wesley’s smile will never grace this world again. I can feel Niall’s arms wrap around me in comfort, but even that doesn’t help. 

“Can I go in and see her?” I squeak. 

Joseph looks at me and shakes his head no. 

“I’m sorry Brinley, but we really just want to see Wesley alone. The doctors are doing some last minute things right now with her.”

I nod as if I understand but I don’t. I know for a fact that Wesley has changed my life for the better, and I hope I did the same for her. Her parents know how much she meant to me. All I want is some closure and they can’t give me that little sliver of happiness left.