Chapter 6

Both our arms were pinned to our sides. I can hear a chorus of "Ooohs!" and "Get it!" scatter throughout the pile. I lean back down, laughing. He bites his lip and smiles too. 

How the hell did we go from tackling each other a few hours ago to now kissing? 

"I thought you hated me?" I ask. 

"Opinions can change." He says, smiling. 

I become quite acquainted with the little girl next to me, whose pinned onto her stomach, her head stuck to the right.

"So how long do these things last for?" I ask.

"Who knows? This is kind of our recruiting process for new comers. If we like you, then you'll be stuck here for a few more minutes. If we hate you, we wouldn't even have dog piled you. So, so far you're doing great."

"Thanks." I chuckle, then turn my attention back to Niall.

"When did this start?" I ask breathlessly. The weight is starting to crush on top of my chest.

"A few years ago. They tried to group hug me when I came in. This kid who was on the top of the pile twisted his ankle and couldn't get off. Everyone just assumed that we were staying like that cause they wanted to. Poor kid, no one could hear his cries for help. After a while, some kid shoved him off and then he broke his ankle falling off. It was actually quite funny. Ever since then, it's become a ritual. I think you've broken the record, they must love you."

"I feel so special." I joke.

I can feel a headache start to come on from lack of oxygen.

"Has anyone ever ..." I catch my breath, " died doing this?"

"Nope. You can be the first."

I can slowly feel the pressure settle off my chest. They must be getting up. In a few seconds, Niall and I are the only ones laying on the floor.

"You can get off me now."

"I know." He sits up, straddling me, then standing up.

He digs his fingers into my sides for 'stability' in getting up. I shriek and hold my stomach, laughing.

"I should probably get home." I say. Niall, being a gentleman walks me to the front door.

"Thank you for coming again." He says. "These kids really appreciate all that you did."

"Hey, if you ever need more walls painted - I'm your girl."

"Bye Brinley. Drive safe!" He says, closing the door. 

"Bye Niall!" I wave before heading into my Jeep. I pull out of the driveway and onto the road. After a few seconds at a red light, I squeal and wrap my arms around my legs on the seat.

Soon a car behind me starts to honk his horn at me angrily.

"Okay, asshole no need to honk your fucking horn. I'm having a moment. No need to ruin it douche bag!" I yell at the car before driving through the green light.

NIALL'S POV

I close the door softly behind her retreating foot steps. I turn around to see a few of the boys in a semi circle around me. They're all crossing their arms and wearing protective stances.

"What?" I ask.

"Where the hell do you find a girl like that?" The oldest asks.

I smile and shove through them. I can hear one of them whine, " I want one!"

THE NEXT DAY.

BRINLEY'S POV

I slam my hand down on my phone, stopping the awful alarm. After pondering for a few more minutes if I can fake being sick or not, I try for it anyway. I sneak downstairs where my mom - thankfully - isn't cooking anything.

I fill a bowl with ice cubes and shuffle up to my room. I dunk my face in the bowl. Note to self, it's very cold. After a minute or two I hide the ice cubes and start coughing.

"Mom!" I yell in a screechy voice (which isn't hard considering my throat hurts from all that singing). She walks in, still in her pajamas too.

"I think," I cough " I'm sick." She puts her hand to my forehead.

"You do seem a little cold. What about school?"

"We're not doing anything today. All the teachers will probably be hungover from their weekends anyway." She smiles.

"Alright you can stay home. I have to go to work though so you'll be home alone until about seven. Sammy is having a play date with her friends."

"Did Rider finally leave for college again?" I ask. 

"You know more sisters would be sad that their brothers are leaving."

I ignore her comment. "'ll just reminisce of better times while your gone." I pitifully cough and throw my hand onto my forehead, dramatically falling onto the covers.

She pats my stomach and smiles, leaving the room.

"Oh," she pops her head in " did you get those form signs from the volunteer hours you did?"

"Nope." I say. "I can get them signed later. Maybe if I'm feeling better I can drive over their today and see if I can."

"Please do, those forms are already late." She then fully leaves the room and I smile, grabbing my phone, excited to see I have a new text.

Good Morning Beautiful xo

I furiously type a new reply

Who the hell is this?

I wait a few minutes but see no response. I groan and throw on my favorite pair of sweats and a crop top, french braiding my hair back.

As I'm passing the kitchen, I grab the papers and stuff them into my bag. I'm blasting Fall Out Boy inside my speakers of my car when I arrive. I walk through the doors into the Great Room.

Everyone's milling about, textbooks and binders on their laps. I spot the woman who I talked to yesterday and walk up to her.

"Hi! I was here yesterday, I was the one who painted the walls. I was wondering if you could sign off on these papers for community service? I believe I did about seven and a half hours."

"Sure thing sweetie!" She whips out a pen from her bun and signs the papers quickly.

"Do you need more hours?" She asks.

"I actually do. I need 3 1/2 more to graduate. But I'm planning to do some work at the Children's Hospital."

"If you ever need some more hours hon, just waltz in on here. Everyone loves you for what you did." She says, gesturing to the walls.

"It's nothing."

Niall walks by and stops by us.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He asks.

"Just getting some papers signed."

"Last night I heard you say something about, having to go to school today. Yet ..." He says, gesturing to my presence.

"I faked being sick." I say.

He raises an eyebrow but doesn't say anything. "That's perfect! We can hang out together!" He says, smiling.

Oh and if you could check out my new series, 'Imagines' - they're just imagines of all the boys - that'd be awesome! Thank you!