Chapter 12

BRINLEY'S POV

I was so extremely comfortable. My feet were all warm and my head was gently resting on Niall's arm. I wasn't even hungry. . . Oh wait. Never mind. I am. Then someone had to go and ruin it with using stupid technology. Awesome. I opened up the message - it was from my mom. 'Come home. Now.' It read. I was confused. My mom was never really angry with me. I was a pretty independent child if I do say so myself. I push off Niall from the couch and stand up, my feet freezing.

"Oh hey Wesley." I say, my voice thick with sleep.

"I need to leave but I'll see you tomorrow. Promise." I say, kissing her forehead. In an act totally unlike Wesley, she bursts out in tears and I drop the blanket from my shoulders and hug her tightly.

"Shh. What's wrong honey? Everything's alright. You're recovering from this pnumemonia and before you know it you'll be out of the hospital. Don't worry. You're going to live forever." I say, smiling.

She nods but doesn't meet my eyes. Something's definitely wrong. I take her head in my hands.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

She shoves my hands off her face.

"Nothing." She bites.

"Gosh Wes." She's never gotten mad at me before.

"I'll see you later." Her and Niall exchange a knowing look.

"I'll meet you in the car." Niall says.

I furrow my lip but turn on my heel. A few minutes later and I'm tapping my feet on the dashboard along to some Panic at the Disco. Niall slides through the exit doors from the hospital, wiping his eyes. Probably the sun. Men like Niall don't cry. I believe it's impossible - at least for them to admit it. I blast the music through the speakers just to bug him. He sits in the drivers seat, and rests his head on the steering wheel. Okay what did I miss when I was sleeping?

"What's wrong?" I yell over the music.

"Nothing!" He snaps.

"Seems like everyone's on their period today." I mutter.

"What was that?" He asks, pulling back onto the highway.

"Nothing." I flush, remembering the 'lesson' he taught me only hours earlier.

"Mhm." He nods.

The car ride home is silent. My mom has texted me three more times and I have one missed call. I call her back.

"Hello?" I ask, turning down the music.

"Where are you?" She yells.

"I'm coming home. Niall and I were visiting Wesley." She sighs and I can imagine her pinching her nose.

"Just hurry home."

"Okay. Love you!" I say trying to lighten the mood. She hangs up on me without another word. I groan in frustration and kick the dashboard. I'm surprised when Niall doesn't say anything about his car. He gives me a knowing eyebrow raise but that's it.

"What's wrong?"

"Everyone apparently! Everyone's in such a bad mood. I wake up and Wes yells at me, you come out of the hospital in a depressed mood and my mom is ready to slit my throat."

He stops in the parking lot of the shelter.

"Sorry Brin I didn't me-"

"Brin?" I cut him off. He gives a slight blush.

"I just wanted to give you a nickname I guess."

"I like it." I smile.

"My mom is going to kill me if I don't come home soon so I better go. Bye Niall." I say hopping out of his car, slamming the door hard on purpose. I turn back and stick out my tongue at him. In response he flips me the finger. I laugh and run to my car, heading home.