Chapter 21

I kiss her forehead and leave the hospital, intent on seeing her bright, shining face tomorrow. Little did I know, the road trip would never happen, and I would never see her smile again.

BRINLEY'S POV

I hop into my car, pulling out of the parking lot and back onto the highway. After a very uneventful drive, I park into the driveway of my house. I promise I'll stay for a few minutes to get clothes and book it out of there. I don't see my mom's car so I creep inside. I see Rider and Sammy sitting on the couch together. Rider notices me and hurries over quickly, trying not to alert Sammy of my presence.

"Where the hell have you been?"

He asks once were in the safety of the kitchen.

"Lovely mother kicked me out."

"What did you do?" He asks.

"She didn't like me hanging around Niall, so she kicked me out."

"That's completely unfair."

"I'm just here to get my stuff and I'll be out of your hair."

"Maybe you should try and mend things with her, I think the stress is really getting to her."

"She's the one that hates me and I have to apologize? No. She's dead to me now."

I sprint up the stairs and into my old room. I take a few suitcases and pack the essentials. As I'm about to head outside and back to the shelter, I hear the garage door open. Shit.

I peer over the railing and see my mom giving Sammy a hug. It's like I never even existed to her. Like she didn't carry me around in her stomach for nine months. I can't sneak past her now. I look out my window and seeing as I don't want to fall to my death on a bed of sharp rocks, I think of another escape plan.

Just my luck, I see Niall's range rover pull up outside. Talk about bad timing. If he storms in here, my mom will make sure that he leaves dead or limbless. I'm too young to be put under this amount of stress.

I race over to Rider's room, quickly climbing out of his window and hopping onto the roof, then onto the top of my mom's car. I drop to the ground feeling like Kim Possible. I tackle Niall to the ground on my front porch.

"Do you wanna die Horan? Stop walking or I'll set you on fire!"

"All I wanted to do was come here and apologize." I stand up.

"Oh." I kiss his lips and tug him into his car.

"The thought is greatly appreciated. I'll see you home in like twenty minutes."

"Why? What's the rush?"

"My mom's home. She can't see you."

"Oh come on! I'll go in and make sure she changes her mind about me." He climbs out of his car, not listening to my protests. I follow him inside, my muscles clenching in the upcoming fight. My mom sees Niall, then me.

"Out. Now."

"Listen Mrs. Jennings, I just wanted to come her and talk to you."

"I'm sorry Niall, but this is not a good time. Please leave my property." I groan in frustration. Rider spots me and shakes his head quickly, but I won't give up without a fight. "Mom how can you be so narrow - minded?!" I complain. Rider speaks up.

"Brinley stop right now! You make everything so god damn difficult!"

I glance behind Rider to see Sammy hugging his leg.

"Sammy?" I whisper.

She looks frightened and doesn't know what to do. I go and try to hug her when mother dearest stops me.