Chapter 27

“Stop mumbling.” I say, already fuming. 

“I um, faked Wesley’s death so you would come to Florida with me.” 

I’m surprised I haven’t passed out from the amount of emotional trauma I’ve gone through. I decide not to yell at him, or ask why. Instead, I slap him across the face as hard as I possibly can and hop out of the car. I run away from him as fast as I can. Through the tears streaming down my face, I hurriedly call the number for a cab. Niall doesn’t even try to come over and comfort me. Smart boy. Within a few minutes, a yellow cab peels up to the drive. Without even packing as much as a toothbrush, I hop in and whisper for the airport. The man nods and starts quickly driving to the airport. 

NIALL’S POV

I’ve fucked things up bad. I know that we’ve broken up even if she hadn’t said it. I’m not quite sure what to even think. I just know I’m going to hell. I slip into the living room to find my parents sitting there, waiting for me. 

“Brin left. Can I stay here for a while?” I whisper, hugging my arms to my chest. It feels like I’m about to fall to pieces and the only thing keeping me in one piece are my arms.

 My mother nods and quickly pulls me into a hug. 

“What’d you do?” She asks. 

“I can’t even tell you. You would hate me forever.”

“That doesn’t make me feel any better.” She says, pulling back and looking me in the eyes.

“I just need to sleep.” I admit.

She looks over at my dad who nods from his spot on the couch. 

“We’ll talk about it in the morning.”

BRINLEY’S POV

“Hey. We’re here.” The taxi driver says forcefully. 

I lift my head up from the cracked vinyl seat and nod. I fumble for my emergency cash I always keep in my bra. He looks a little disgusted but accepts the money. I crawl out of the cab and plop myself on the sidewalk outside the airport. After asking a few people for help, I find my way to check in where I get the first ticket to Colorado. I keep looking around, expecting Niall to come bursting through the crowd of people confessing his forgiveness and love. That never happens and I board the plane alone. I find my window seat and curl up against the wall of the plane, trying to ignore the older couple sitting next to me. My eyelids get heavier and heavier, sleep tugging me to unconsciousness. Just as I drown out the flight attendant’s voice, a thought comes rushing through my mind and I sit up, wide awake. 

“I know Wesley loved you Brinley. She’s still here, she hasn’t left.” Wes’ dad had told me that.

He knew. They had all known the entire time and fucking let me believe that. Wesley’s own parents made me believe that she had died. How sick is that? I can’t even believe that I had been lied to by the people that I believed loved me most. My mom was right. She had been right the entire time but I was fooled by false love and hopes. She’ll never forgive me. I feel like moving to a new city, a new town, a new community. I use the rest of my flight time on the plane wifi, searching out of state colleges. 

The plane lands an hour later and I scurry off, calling a cab on the sidewalk. Half an hour later and I’m standing in front of the Children’s Hospital doors. I sigh and walk in, past Molly, and in front of Wesley’s room. It all still looks the same but the energy is at an all time low. I take a breath and open up the door to her room, shouldering my way in. I turn the corner and she’s laying in her bed, her chest trembling with breath. I drop my jacket and phone on the ground, taking the few steps to her bed in stride.