Chapter 25

I’m about to start screaming when I get a sharp blow to my head, and black coats my vision. 

NIALL’S POV

“I told you Niall.” Maura says while helping me clean up the broken plates. 

“I remember mother.” I harshly state, sweeping up the debris. The kitchen is quiet for a few minutes while we clean up the plates. I take a sideways glance at my mom. She has more wrinkles than I remember and she doesn’t smile as much anymore. Her lips are set in a half frown. I feel sort of bad that I’ve affected her like this. 

“Mom have you ever hurt dad? Not physically, but have you done something that you know he’ll never forgive you for?”

She stands up straight and blinks, surprised that I was probably talking to her. 

“Yes.” She states softly, playing with the necklaces she’s wearing. 

“What’d you do?” I ask, standing up and leaning against the counter. 

“I left you behind all those years ago.” Maura says, looking at me. 

Chapter 27

“Stop mumbling.” I say, already fuming. 

“I um, faked Wesley’s death so you would come to Florida with me.” 

I’m surprised I haven’t passed out from the amount of emotional trauma I’ve gone through. I decide not to yell at him, or ask why. Instead, I slap him across the face as hard as I possibly can and hop out of the car. I run away from him as fast as I can. Through the tears streaming down my face, I hurriedly call the number for a cab. Niall doesn’t even try to come over and comfort me. Smart boy. Within a few minutes, a yellow cab peels up to the drive. Without even packing as much as a toothbrush, I hop in and whisper for the airport. The man nods and starts quickly driving to the airport. 

NIALL’S POV

I’ve fucked things up bad. I know that we’ve broken up even if she hadn’t said it. I’m not quite sure what to even think. I just know I’m going to hell. I slip into the living room to find my parents sitting there, waiting for me. 

“Brin left. Can I stay here for a while?” I whisper, hugging my arms to chest. It feels like I’m about to fall to pieces and the only thing keeping me in one piece are my arms.

 My mother nods and quickly pulls me into a hug. 

“What’d you do?” She asks. 

“I can’t even tell you. You would hate me forever.”

“That doesn’t make me feel any better.” She says, pulling back and looking me in the eyes.

“I just need to sleep.” I admit.

She looks over at my dad who nods from his spot on the couch. 

“We’ll talk about it in the morning.”

BRINLEY’S POV

“Hey. We’re here.” The taxi driver says forcefully. 

I lift my head up from the cracked vinyl seat and nod. I fumble for my emergency cash I always keep in my bra. He looks a little disgusted but accepts the money. I crawl out of the cab and plop myself on the sidewalk outside the airport. After asking a few people for help, I find my way to check in where I get the first ticket to Colorado. I keep looking around, expecting Niall to come bursting through the crowd of people confessing his forgiveness and love. That never happens and I board the plane alone. I find my window seat and curl up against the wall of the plane, trying to ignore the older couple sitting next to me. My eyelids get heavier and heavier, sleep tugging me to unconsciousness. Just as I drown out the flight attendant’s voice, a thought comes rushing through my mind and I sit up, wide awake.