Chapter 3

**Brinley**

I wake up the next morning, the smell of smoke wafting up from downstairs. My mom is probably burning breakfast as usual. With eyes half closed, I run into my door frame.

Again, as usual. After I had gotten two concussions from the same mistake I had made moments before, my parents attached half a pool noodle to the frame. I must say, my mornings have improved greatly without the permanent red bump on my forehead.

I rub my face and slap my cheeks trying to wake up before the fire alarm rings. The fire department is very familiar with our house at this point.

I find my mom in the kitchen with a cloud of smoke engulfing her. I take control and within a few minutes I'm cooking pancakes with a pan full of burnt bacon in the trash can.

"I see you're giving the fire department a rest. You should be glad I came to the rescue."

My mom sticks her tongue at me and I smile, bumping my hip with hers. My mom wraps her fingers around her mug, drumming them against the ceramic.

"So B, I got an email from the school today."

"Okay?" Normally, my mom just trashes any of the messages from my school.

"You still need ten hours of community service to pass senior year." She says, hiding her face behind her mug.

"And you didn't think of reminding me through out my entire school year about this?"

"I've already set you up at the teen homeless shelter. They want you there by noon."

"Mom you know I love you, but shouldn't you include me in any of these plans beforehand?"

She just shrugs and continues drinking her coffee.

I flip a pancake, my eyes flicking to the microwave clock to check the time. "Alright I have enough time."

Rider then hops down the stairs, Sammy on his back.

"Aren't you supposed to be at college?" I ask him.

"Aren't you supposed to be good looking?" He fires back.

I stick my tounge out at him and turn the heat off the stove, transfering the last pancake to a plate. I grab one and stuff it in my mouth as I start jumping up the stairs.

"I'm going to get dressed and leave for the day!" I yell at my family, noting them of my whereabouts. However, they could care less. I take a quick look over my shoulder at the top of the steps and see that they all have a pancake in their mouths, their fingers already sticky with syrup. I laugh and open my bedroom door. I put on a pair of leggings and a sports bra, slipping on a thin tank top and Nikes. A yoga mat is leaning against my nightstand and I grab it along with my keys, slipping out of my room.

Sammy is standing at the bottom of the steps, her hair in a ponytail. "Can I come with you B?" She asks, sticking her bottom lip out.

I look to my mom for support but she shrugs her shoulders. I roll my eyes, "Fine."

Sammy claps her hands together and follows on my heels outside.

"Are you sure you want to come to Bikram yoga with me? It gets up to 104 degrees."

Sammy's eyes widen but she nods, up for the challenge.

"Alright." Soon enough we're pulling into the gym. Sammy tugs her baby yoga mat behind her in the parking lot. I grab it for her and set it down when we're in the studio. It's already pretty hot and I slip off my shirt, putting it next to my water bottle.