Chapter 29: Guess This Is Goodbye

Text sent.

Alexandra stared at the phone with blanked expression as she held it tightly in the palm of her hand. Her heart was beating frantically against her chest as she moved her gaze away from the phone to stare at the dark night sky.

In her hand, she held a diamond ring she had found in her bag a few days ago. It was no mystery that the ring had belonged to her when she first got married to Nikolei a few years back.

Half an hour later, a tall man with a kid by his side came into her peripheral view as she stood up from the bench to greet them. She recognised them from far away. At first, her gaze was fixed on Nikolei before they fell onto the little boy by his side who was clutching onto his hand looking all eager to meet her.

Alexandra's eyes were welled with tears. Her heart leapt in joy seeing Gayle for the first time after she remembered everything about him. The time at the Halloween Parade was one of the greatest she had experienced after so long. The little boy made her felt like there's something more, only then that she had not recognise who he is in her life before.

"Mommy!" He yelled from afar. Gayle was bouncing up and down as they neared her and the wide, appreciative smile on Nikolei's face did not go unnoticed by her.

As soon as he freed himself from his father's grasp, Gayle quickly bolted towards her with his arms open wide. The two embraced each other in their open arms. The feeling was so surreal that Alexandra started to pour her tears out. She quickly pressed her lips to both sides of Gayle's cheeks before moving back up to his forehead. For a few minutes, Alexandra kissed Gayle's forehead for the last time and once again embraced him in her arms tightly.

Alexandra inhaled shakily, "I love you, Gayle. Mommy will always love you."

"I love you too, mommy. I knew you would come home, mommy. Daddy and I have been missing you for so long now." He said faintly, whispering into her ear longingly while tightening his arms around her.

The smile on Alexandra's face vanished as soon as the words dissolved. She let go and smiled faintly at the little boy in her arms. "Why don't you go and wait for me at the bench while I talk to your daddy, okay?"

"Okay." He replied quietly.

By the time she stood up, Nikolei was smiling at her with his eyes lit up brightly. He shoved the bouquet of calla lilies in front of her as she neared him.

He breathed in and smiled sheepishly, "I couldn't resist his wide brown eyes when he begged me to take him with me."

"Nikolei... I-I... Uh... How's Maria and Boris been doing?" She said, averting her gaze to the grass she stepped on.

She saw it as his fingers tightened around the bouquet of flowers in his hand. Her heart palpitated and slowly, she averted her gaze back to him. Together, they stared into each other's eyes.

"T-they're... fine. You remember?" He muttered faintly before repeating the latter once more to himself. Panic shone in his eyes for a while when it was quickly replaced by joy.

Alexandra heaved out a breath and clenched her right hand into a fist, feeling the shape of the white gold with diamond in her hand moulded against the palm of her hand.