Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Angelina's Point of View:

“At what time does your dad come home?” Lee asked while we were preparing dinner. All three brothers turned to look at me and I shrugged. I didn’t want to talk about that now.

I’m the kind of person who doesn’t talk. When I’m hurt I don’t tell anyone I just cry alone.

“You don’t know at what time his shift ends?” Liam asked.

“Um he stays over time,” I mumbled. The office where he works closes at 8:30p.m but my dad doesn’t come home till after midnight. He probably stays at some café; either to work some more or to not see me. Let’s face it, I’m like a replica of my mother and he doesn’t want to see her.

The brothers shared a look as silence settled upon us.

We were preparing ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner. We worked silently, each lost in his own thoughts.

When dinner was ready, we sat in the kitchen and ate the sandwiches.

“Do you guys have a sister or another brother?” I asked.

“Nope,” Lee answered “We’re the trio.”

I smiled at that. It must be nice to have siblings.

“Our mom couldn’t handle any more boys,” Drew joked and I laughed. The poor woman, how was she able to raise these three boys?

“Thanks for the sandwich,” Lee said and I smiled at him. I took the four plates to the sink. I decided to clean the table first though.

When I was cleaning the table, Lee went over to the sink and started doing the dishes. Liam put all the food back in its place and Drew started mopping the floor.

“Whoa whoa guys I can do it, it’s okay,” I said but they insisted on helping me.

I suddenly felt overwhelmed with emotions. Is that how it feels when you have a family? You all eat dinner together? And then you divide the work among yourselves? They even insist on helping you clean?

“Thank you guys,” I told them, unable to keep the emotions from my voice. Drew stopped working for a bit to look at me curiously, as if trying to read me. I just gave him a small smile and continued cleaning; making sure that my hair hid my eyes so that he couldn’t see the pain in them due to not having a family.

Lee and Liam just grinned at me.

Ten minutes later, the kitchen was sparkling. Usually it would take me at least an hour to clean the whole kitchen but now with the help of the brothers it barely took us ten minutes.

The three guys sat on the couch in the T.V. room and I sat on the floor in front of them. I love sitting on the floor. I find it comfortable.

Drew’s hands rested on my shoulders and he pulled me backwards so that my back rested against his legs. That was much more comfortable so I didn’t complain.

I turned on the T.V and settled for an episode of ‘The Simpsons’. We laughed at a few funny scenes but it was over soon.

I glanced at my watch and saw that it was already 11:30p.m. I yawned and stretched like a cat before standing up.

“I’m gonna go to bed,” I announced “Goodnight.”

“Are you sure you want to leave us alone here? We might rob your house.” Drew joked.