Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Angelina's Point of View:

I was sitting on the couch in the T.V room, wearing my blue shorts and white tank top. It was the summer when I was fifteen years old. I was watching a re-run of ‘Family Guy’ on my own when suddenly I heard the front door open.

I stiffened and pressed the mute button. The room fell silent and I heard heavy footsteps from the other room. Who could it be? I thought as my heart rate accelerated at the thought of having a murderer or thief in my house.

“Angelina,” a gruff voice called out and I immediately recognized my father’s voice.

Why was he here? I haven’t seen him in months! And his voice was so scary it sent chills up and down my spine

“D-dad?” I stammered as I turned off the T.V and walked to where I heard his voice come from.

I switched on the lights in the kitchen where he was and I gasped when my eyes landed on my father. His clothes were crumpled and his eyes were unfocused as he stumbled across the room.

“You—” he started and I wrinkled my nose at his alcohol breath. That is when I noticed the bottle of beer in his hand.

“Dad…” I started “A-are you okay?”

“It’s your fault!” he screamed, shoving my shoulder and I immediately fell to the ground. A surprised yelp escaped my lips as I landed on the cold tiled kitchen floor.

I looked up and saw the hatred and anger in his eyes. I started crying and calling him, hoping he would snap out of it and sober up.

“Dad,” I whispered for the seventh time and that is when he raised the empty bottle in his hand. I immediately placed my hands over my head and shut my eyes. Seconds later, the green glass bottle of beer hit my arm.

I screamed in pain as the glass cut my arms. I looked up at my dad in fear and rushed out of the house. I kept on running till I was far enough from my house and my father. Tears rolled down my cheeks and my bleeding hands shook. Suddenly, blackness surrounded me and everything was gone.

I gasped as I sat up. I looked around frantically and my racing heart slowed slightly as I realized that I was in the green tent. I looked down at the scar on my arm and a few tears rolled down my cheeks. How could my own father do this to me? Does he even remember it? It’s his fault I’m afraid of anyone who is slightly drunk. It’s his fault I force my friends not to drink at parties.

“Are you okay?” I jumped when I heard someone’s low voice.

“Yeah,” I whispered back to Drew without turning around to face him because I didn’t want him to see that I was crying.

I kept my back to him, trying to stop my tears. He didn’t go back to sleep like I expected him to do. Instead, he sat up. I turned my head to the other side hoping he wouldn’t see my face. He sighed and turned my head around so I was facing him. He froze when our gazes connected, his hands still holding my face.

I then dropped my gaze and removed his hands from my face. I didn’t want him to see me weak like that. I felt so vulnerable and tired. But I couldn’t go back to sleep after a nightmare like that.

I felt his gaze on me but I didn’t want to turn around. I stood up quickly, making sure not to wake Nate up. He sleeps like a rock anyway so I shouldn’t worry much. I slipped on my shoes as fast as I could and bolted out of the tent.