Chapter Eight

Waking slowly I become acutely aware of a strong, slow heartbeat pulsing against my cheek and ear, my palm resting on cool skin. I jolt upright in shock, I cant believe I fell asleep in Byron's arms. Leaping from the bed, immediately falling to the floor when my legs refuse to hold my weight, a throaty chuckle comes from the bed, I freeze, turning to look at the bed, Byron is leaning up against the headboard, watching me, a smile across his face making him look young and carefree. I realise I like that look alot more than I truly care to admit.

"You okay?" He asks, trying to stop the laugh lacing through his voice, but failing. My lips quiver as I try to keep my face blank so he doesnt know just how much his smile affects me.

"Im fine. Im going to get something to eat. Do you want anything?" I bite my lip, what the hell possessed me to ask him, he will probably take it as an invitation to sink his fangs into my neck again.

"Im not going to bite you Lara. Calm down. I heard your banana bread is ... amazing, I think thats what Violet said."

"You want me to make some banana bread?"

"If you'd be so kind. The others will be up in a couple of hours, I want you back in here when they are up. I dont want to have to fight my family just because they are enamoured by you." Scrambling to my feet I race to the door, closing it behind me, Byrons soft laughter follows me. Gods sake, when he is acting like this I want to be by his side, why? I dont know. My body seems to have a mind of its own.

I walk blindly through the corridors, keeping my steps as quiet as I can. Thankfully I dont bump into anyone, entering the empty kitchen I sigh in relief, busying my hands as I gather all the ingredients, wanting to make it extra special since Byron will be eating it, my hands still, where did that thought come from? After 30 minutes and 2 chocolate muffins later I slide the 2 banana breads into the oven, the smell already making my stomach growl. Grabbing another cake I wander towards the 'game' room nibbling away at it, freezing when the sound of a bottle dropping echoes through the corridor, tip toeing to the game room I peep round the corner, noticing Paul slumped over at the bar, head resting on one arm, other arm hanging by his side, an empty bottle of absinthe lying on the floor. Can vampires get drunk? I walk towards him slowly, unsure of what to do.

"Why did you defend him?" Paul's voice startles me as he opens his eyes, lifting his head unsteadily, I stop a few feet from him. Looking at him properly for the first time, he has a black eye, matching mine, he has bags under his eyes as if he couldnt sleep. My usual attraction to him is non existent, is it because Byron is back?

"I didnt want you getting into trouble for making assumptions again." Half truth again, I dont know the full reason why I keep defending Byron, he hasnt earned it.

"Lara for gods sake. Look at you. You have a black eye, youre pale and you have bruises around your wrists. He isnt good for you. I am good for you." Suddenly Paul appears infront of me, swaying slightly but with fierce determination in his gaze. He is definitely drunk. His hand curls around the back of my neck as his lips descend to mine, soft and coaxing, but I feel ... nothing, my heart doesnt start racing like it does when Byron's skin touches mine. I push Paul away, startling him since he falls on his backside looking up at me, anger and shock across his face.

"Paul. I like you but not in that way. You think we should be together just because im forbidden fruit, or so to speak." He jumps to his feet, hands curled into fists, the easy going Paul I know replaced with a hard frankly frightening Paul. He stalks towards me, I almost trip over my feet as I retreat away from him, scared by him for the first time.

"I love you Lara. How can you not feel it too. Its disgusting how you have fallen under his spell. You dont know whats good for you any more. Snap out of it." He grabs my upper arms in a bruisingly tight grip, I hiss in pain, my anger flaring up, giving me strength.

"Let me go Paul. I am under nobodies spell. You are drunk, go to sleep and come back to talk reasonably when you are sober." I rip my arms from his hands, his nails scratching into my skin, I barge past his still figure holding my head high. Stepping into the corridor I take a look back but he has gone, going back into the kitchen I grab one of Violet's secret stash galaxy bars, sitting at the table I let the chocolate melt on my tongue.

Am I under some sort of spell? It would explain my absurd feelings for Byron. Why I dont feel anything sexual towards Paul when he is the type of guy I could see myself with. My head starts aching with the unanswerable questions, grabbing some paracetamol's from the cupboard I swallow them with a glass of water. Being isolated from the outside world must really be playing with my mind, ive accepted vampires to being almost the good guys ... what is wrong with me?

Pulled out of my inner turmoil by the oven insistently beeping, grabbing the breads from the racks, the smell making my mouth water, as I leave them to cool I make the glaze before tipping the breads from their tins and drizzling the glaze ontop. Leaving one on the kitchen side I carefully carry the other back through the corridors towards 'my' room. Slipping through the door quietly I spy Byron sleeping, face down, spread across the bed, I cant help but smile at the normalcy and how boyish he looks when he sleeps. Closing the door as softly as possible I place the bread on the dresser before padding into the bathroom, closing the door quietly behind me. Standing in the shower, the water cascading over me, washing away my worries, wrapping myself in a towel I pad softly to the door, opening it as quietly as possible, glancing at the bed I see Byron is still sleeping. Rushing silently across the room I step behind the wardrobe door, blocked from the bed, as a precaution, wearing a simple mauve underwear set I slip on a floaty off the shoulder lilac top and some denim shorts, throwing the towel over my arm I close the wardrobe door, freezing as my eyes connects with Byron's intense stare.

"Um ... hi ... sorry if I woke you."

"Good evening Lara." The way he said my name sent delightful shivers down my back, trying to ignore the feeling I head into the bathroom, hanging the towel up before going back into the bedroom and the man who confuses me to no end. As I step into the room I see Byron balancing the banana bread on his lap as he flicks through the tv channels, watching him silently as he takes a bite of the bread I see slight flickers of emotions, delight? Shock? Too many and too quick for me to identify. I start to wonder if he even remembers how to feel anything except anger anymore. Do vampires get desensitised as they age? Another question to add to the ever growing list.

"Do you like it?" I ask shyly as I make my way over to the other side of the bed, refusing to meet his gaze, suddenly nervous about his response. Should I care about his response? No. But do I? Yes. Damn it. Climbing onto the bed I stare blankly at the tv.

"Lara?" When he stops I can only wait a minute before turning my attention to him, noticing a little smirk on his lips.

"Yes Byron?" I reply sarcastically, biting my lip straight after. Where has my filter gone?

"This is the best cake I have ever tasted. The banana, cinnamon and walnut really explode on your tongue." I blush furiously at his seemingly honest compliment, looking down at my hands shyly, his hand suddenly reaches out, clasping one of my hands, my gaze jumps to his again, my heart racing as it feels like electricity running through my veins. My body warming to his touch.

"Th ... thank you ..." I stutter, really unsure of how to deal with this side of Byron. Anger I can deal with, hell I expect it. But compliments? I am completely lost, especially as his mesmerising gaze holds mine with ease.

"You really are an outstanding woman." He whispers quietly before placing the plate behind him and rolling over, caging me underneath his large body. I have never felt more feminine in my life, my body soft and pliant against his hard and demanding form. All I can do is lay still, stunned, staring into the eyes of the predator that has consumed my mind for almost a month.

But I am not afraid, only entranced by the deep purple pools of hidden emotions, maybe its the secret romantic in me but I desperately want him to lean down that small fraction more so I can finally see if his lips even amount to the softness that my mind has imagined.