Chapter Twelve

2 months later

Walking through the now familiar corridors I head towards my 'office', basically the groups own hospital wing, I discovered what they meant by Frank after a week of being here, an elderly gentleman that made no effort to hide his disgust as the others laughed about torturing the vampires. How I have managed to hold my tongue and not let on that I know exactly who they have chained in their prison area.

Tonight fills me with trepidation as Jake told me that tonight is the night I fully join the organisation by completing a test. It has to be convincing enough to fool them all, but I am terrified of what my test will be, this is a group of psychopaths and I am trapped in the midst. Checking in on my most recent patient, a young man called Chris who said he was attacked by a purple vampire, who I assume was Violet, I inwardly smiled, glad that shes doing something. The red brooch on my lab coat hangs heavy, a sign that I belong to the organisation. Chris is asleep when I pop my head round the door, the machines beeping happily next to him. Rounding the corner to my office I spy Pete lounging against the door, eyes glued to his phone until I clear my throat and continue walking towards him.

"Hey Pete, everything okay?" I slip my key into my door as he steps to the side allowing me entry.

"Your test begins in an hour. I will come and get you."

"Great." I fake enthusiasm as he walks away, slumping into my desk chair I click my laptop on and start my daily routine of checking patients records, even ones of the human hospitals, looking for any abnormalities that would associate with a vampire attack. Giving up after 30 minutes, my nerves too shot to concentrate, leaning back in my chair, closing my eyes, I almost miss the soft footsteps.

"Hey Lara. You okay?" Yasmins soft question has me opening my eyes and looking at the young girl standing infront of me, I found out that she is 10 and only in this organisation because of her father, her mother was supposidely killed by a vampire but when I looked at the medical records I couldnt help but notice that her mother died in a car accident and those sorts of deaths are human made not done by vampires. But I don't have the heart to tell her that everything she knows might be a lie. She has such a natural compassionate sensitive nature that she has only expressed her hatred of her fathers work to me and I have held onto her secret.

Standing I walk around my desk, holding my arms out to her, she willingly rushes into them and I hug her tightly. Her presence instantly calms my jittery nerves.

"Im okay Yasmin. Are you okay?"

"Yes, but dad has gone to get something ready. I didnt like the sound of it." Neither did I, I can only imagine that it is to do with my test shortly, panic shoots through my veins.

"Im sure it will be okay honey. Ive got some work to do shortly though. You can stay in here if you want but I dont know how long im going to be."

"Thank you Lara. Everyone keeps saying theyre going to be hurting a vampire later. I hate them all. Why do they want to hurt vampires?"

"I dont know honey, but I will try to find out okay?"

"Thank you Lara." Yasmin wriggles out of my arms and races away, I smile sadly after her, this is no place for a child, I must find a way to get her out, after I have completed my almost impossible task.

"Come Lara. It is time." Petes voice makes me jump as my eyes leap to his hardened gaze. Nodding I fall in step behind him as he leads me through the corridors, towards the prison, he punches in a 5 digit number into the keypad, 7-5-3-6-2. The light goes green and the door clicks open, following Pete, my stomach somersaulting as we walk past cells upon cells, I resist the urge to look into any of them. We step into a large room, limp figures hang by their wrists, illuminated by spotlights. My heart leaps into my throat as I realise it is Byron and Alex, their bodies covered in dry blood and grime their heads bowed, almost in defeat. Next my eyes focus on the table infront of them, covered with macabre weapons, I force my nausea down as a loud voice booms around the room.