Chapter Twenty

A small hand touches mine softly, causing me to jump, spinning to face Yasmin's concerned expression, her hands flying to cover her mouth as her eyes capture the bruises on my face. Quickly grasping her hands I pull her onto the sofa, sitting next to her, squeezing her hands softly.

"Im okay Yasmin."

"But you got hurt. Its all my fault. My family is horrible. I am sorry. I was so worried about you but Alex and Byron wouldnt let me go back." Tears glitter in her eyes as she throws her arms around me, I hug her tightly.

"Its not your fault, it will never be your fault. Im safe, we are all safe and that is all that matters."

"I love you Lara." Tears spring to my eyes at her shy statement, my arms tightening around her.

"I love you too Yasmin." We sit on the sofa embracing for a long while until both our stomachs growl, we jump away from each other laughing and clutching our stomachs. Grabbing her hand we wander into the kitchen, making a few sandwiches and grabbing some crisps, our arms laden we walk back into the living room. Balancing my plate on the arm of the sofa I click the tv on, scanning the limited channels we decide on watching ice age 1 while we happily much at our food, the flavours bursting on my tongue, my stomach mumbling in gratitude. The day passes quickly, between spells of comfortable silences, Yasmin and I just chat about anything and everything before watching peter pan in silence, the movie completely engrossing our attention, I see Yasmin's eyes light up as the lead actor playing Peter comes on screen, causing me to smile at her innocent fascination with him. A creak behind the couch has me launching to my feet, grabbing the knife from the table that id been using to slice up an apple and whir around pointing the blade at the source of the noise. Alex. I notice out of the corner of my eye that Yasmin had automatically crouched on the floor, dropping my arm I glare at Alex before smiling as Yasmin launches herself into his arms. I am so glad that they are as close as they are, I have a feeling that they need each other in more ways that I can understand.

"Glad to see you were prepared Lara." Alex jokes, wrinkling his nose as Yasmin flicks her hair and it tickles his nose.

"Ive got to be on my toes around you vampires, otherwise you will be biting me." I squeal in shock as I am dragged back against a hard figure, cool breath whispers across my neck.

"Was that an invitation?" I relax as Byrons voice vibrates against my ear, I drop the knife uncaringly onto the rug as I twist in his arms to hug him, not knowing where the compulsion came from but I dont fight it. His strong arms hold me in a tight embrace, his lips feathering kisses on my neck.

"Urg, you two. Break it up. I need coffee." Alex's joking tone has me laughing and pushing away from a now growling Byron. As soon as I am out of his grip I race to the kitchen, flicking the kettle on.

"Youre an idiot." I jump, spinning round and coming face to face with Violet, I pull her into a hug, her arms snapping around me.

"A thank you would suffice." I joke, feeling Violet smile.

"You are one of the most reckless, insane human I have ever met. But yes, thank you for saving them, but you could have told me your plan."

"If I had told you would you have let me do it?"

"Probably not ... but ... oh, I understand now." Understanding shines in her eyes and I cant help the overwhelming emotions as I hug her tighter, feeling a sense of female company in a level where I dont have to hide or sugar coat anything like I do sometimes with Yasmin for her own sake. Leaning back slightly I study Violets face, she seems older if thats even possible, her grey eyes betray her true age and her violet hair is pulled into a messy bun that only she could pull off.