Chapter 23: Cookie dough coffee

"Are you guys sure this is gonna work?" I asked as my hands trembled in my lap. I personally don't think it will but it’s worth a shot. Maybe.

"You'll be fine," Brad said for the millions time. 

"If something happens to you we will be there and have your back," Jingo said with a deadly serious voice.  

The room fell quiet. There was a thundering knock on the door. My eyes widen in shock. All the boys pulled out their guns. Jack slowly creeper towards the door with the gun in front of him. He peeked thought the peep hole. He looked back at us and singled the guys to put down their guns. Our eyes connected and he winked at me. I couldn't help but feel the warm blush that went to my checks.

I got the feeling whoever is on the other side of the door is a good person. Well as good as a gangster can get. Which I'm pretty is not even close to being a virgin Mary good. Which brings me to another question who the hell can get prego and from not have sex? 

While I was in deep thought I didn’t notice the door was open. There stood covered in sweat is Zane.  My eye connect with Zane's, when I first met him I thought he was tumble kind of guy material now that I notice he doesn't have anything in Jack. Why am I comparing him to Jack? Cause you like him, a voice in the back of my head said. No, no that can't be true.  

“Are you ok?” Zane asked running to me. Well trying to run to me, he didn’t make it there because Jack grabbed the back of his shirt making him halt.

“You’re not going anywhere near her,” Jack growled at him, glaring into his eyes. Jack is being protective of me. Aww!

“I’m here to help protect her. That’s why I’m here right?” Zane asked holding Jacks glare. I could see Jack stiffen.

“Doesn’t mean you have to touch her,” Jack started. Jack is acting like a jealous boyfriend, a voice in the back of my head teased. I rolled my eyes.

“Zane,” Jingo order as he left the room. Zane followed him like a little puppy.  I looked over to Jack only to find him already looking at me. He gave me the look and head nod that said follow me, I gave a slight nod.

He walked ahead of me as we made our way through the hotel hallway. Finally he stopped at the elevation and I was able to catch up.  His back was still rigid. To say he was starting to scare would be an understatement. I am about to pee my pants.

“I don’t want you alone with him. Whenever you are with him I want to be there,” Jack said still not looking at me. The doors to the elevation opened and we stepped in.

“You might want to recheck your voice, you almost sound like you care,” I told him. I wanted to hit myself for saying that. He had to care about me at least a little bit if he keeping me from Zane and his boss.

“Alana I have always cared for you. Do you think you would be alive right now if I didn’t care about you?”  I stayed quiet and got out of the elevation. This is a conversation that should not be disgusted in an elevated.