Chapter 26: The race is on.

            To say the nerves are getting to me would be an understatement. I took a deep breath as I propped a leg up on my car. That right my car, Jingo gave it to me as a Christmas/birthday present. So now he doesn’t ever have to get me something. I looked up at everyone faces. Trish and her boyfriend Marc showed up late last night.

            The vroom of an engine pulled all of us out of our deep thoughts. A cherry red car pulled up with three black SUVs behind it. He brought back up? What the hell is wrong with him? He brought back up? I quested again. What a pansy.

            The door slammed to the car and two men stepped out. One is a younger man that I seen from school; he used to hang out with Jack and the boys.  I think his name is Conner. An older man stepped out of the car with sunglasses covering his cold eyes. I instantly knew who he is. The boss man also known as Katie’s jackass of an uncle.

            The men stepped out of their SUVs with loaded guns in their hands. Well I guess I am going to die today. I bet even if I win their going to shoot me as I cross the finish line.  I saw the rest of my friends eyeing the guns and men.

            “What are they doing here?” Max asked stepping in front of Jess. She ended coming home with us two night ago.

            Conner smirked, “How could we trust you when you betrayed the gang? You let you’re pity feelings get in the way of the gang.”

            “I found a girl who I cared about and she wasn’t family. I am and going to protect her,” Jack said, “What’s so wrong with that?”

            “Everything is so wrong with it,” Mr. Boss man said.

            “Let’s stop having a tea party and get to the racing,” I said.  All eyes turned to me in shock. True be told I am shocked that I actually had the guts to say something.

            “Alright let’s go,” Mr. Boss man said as he slid into his seat of his car. I nodded my head before opening my door. A hand snatched the door as I tried to close it. My eyes shot up to Jacks.  He gave me a lazy smile but I could tell he is nervous.

            “Be careful, babe,” He murmured looking at the cherry car.

            “Always am,” I said with a straight face. Lie.

            “Lie,” He stated, “Just be careful for me, please.”

            “Will do. Meet you on the other side of the line.” With that I rode up to the graffiti while line.  Trish stood in the middle of both cars with a blue hanker chief in her hand. Grinning she spoke three words that will forever change my life.

            “Ready? Set. GO!” Trish yelled. Both cars jerked as we hit the gas and started switching gears. Mile run, that’s all it is. Whoever can get to the other side the fastest wins, easy but life threatening. My life depended on this car.