Chapter 3

"Zoyé can you hear me?"

She groaned as her eyes slowly opened. Then she bolted upright and yelped in pain.

"No sudden movements"

She turned to see Samantha standing next to her with a look of concern mixed with disapproval. It finally registered that she's in the hospital.

"I can't stay here" she said as she made to climb out of the bed but Samantha placed a firm hand on her shoulder, forcing her to lay back down.

"You're acting like a crazy person. What's going on with you?"

"It's Rick! He came to my job. I saw him walking into the restaurant so I ran and someone hit me with the door, but that was an accident"

"Zoyé the police says someone fitting Rick's description was spotted in Ohio"

"I know what I saw Samantha!"

"Ok, OK calm down alright?"

Zoyé closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"If its Rick that you saw we'll call the police. He can't harm you in a crowd full of people and he can't get close to the house. So just make sure you're never alone. Just until he gets caught"

Zoyé looked at her and nodded and brushed at a tear that had escaped. Samantha reached out and hugged her. Really hating to see her friend like this. It brings back so many memories of fighting to survive.

"Don't leave the room OK? One of the hospital security guards is patrolling this area. If you need anything just push the button and ask the nurse for help. When the door hit you it didn't cause major damage so you'll be alright. You still need to take it easy so your previous injuries can heal"

"I don't have to stay here for the night do I?"

Samantha paused and took a deep breath then shook her head.

"No. You should be but I know you'll feel safter at home. I'll come get you when my shift is over on a few hours. Unless you want me to call my driver to come get you now"

"No I can wait" zoyé replied

"OK, well I have to go make my rounds and check on some more patients. I'll see you in a bit"

Zoyé nodded and put her head back on the pillow and tried to relax. She heard the door click behind Samantha as she walked out.

"Is she OK?" Asked Sebastian

Samantha turned to see that he was standing outside zoyé's room.

"Yea she fine, just a little shaken up"

"It was him wasn't it? Did she go back to him and he hit her again?"

Samantha paused and looked at sebastion when she heard the anger in his voice. He's been asking her about zoyé a lot since the day he had examined her. He always seemed so worried. He's never asked her about any other patient the way he asks about zoyé and she was getting even more curious as to what was going on in his head.

"She didn't go back to him. She was at work when she thought she saw him so she ran and wasn't paying attention and got hit by a door"

He nodded and the worry line on his forehead deepened. Samantha's mind was working time and a half as she studied the doctor's face. Then realization hit.

"Oh my gosh! You like her don't you?"

He turned to her with a startled expression and she saw his cheeks color up but he turned away and tried to hide it.

"Don't be ridiculous of course not. I'm just concerned that's all. She was in pretty bad shape the first time she came in"

"Actually that was the second time she came in"

"WHAT!?" he roared all pretense gone. She's never seen him like this before. A few people were looking their way at his outburst so she motioned for him to follow her. She walked to his office and stood by the door until he opened it it visibly unsteady hands.

"OK spill it and no more you're just concerned. This stays between us"

He looked at her in silence then he removed his glasses and tossed it on his desk with his clipboard.

"I don't know what it is Sam. I just feel this overpowering pull towards the woman and its crazy because I only saw her once, but once was all it took because she got under my skin. And don't ask me to explain it because even I don't know how to"

He looked genuinely concerned and frustrated as he sat in his chair and rubbed his hands across his face. She didn't want to push too much so she wait for him to talk.

"Is she still temporarily living with you?"

"Yea"

"Good"

"I have to go do my rounds but Sebastian take it from me if you feel something for her, anything at all. Staying away from her isn't going to help you at all to figure out what the feeling actually is"

He nodded and she turned and walked out leaving him staring at the closed door.

Instead of sitting around with a million thoughts running through his mind he got up and went to check on his patient that had come in the night before. They had managed to save both his legs but the fact still remains he would need some serious therapy to learn to walk again.

"Dave you're looking better today" he said walking into the room.

"Yea I feel better, I can't wait to be able to get up and move around again"

"That's the spirit, keep a positive mind in all this"

He listened to his patient's stories and watch his face come alive with animation. He really admired the young man for his strength, if it were someone else they would probably be falling apart when they woke up from surgery to hear that in order to walk again they would need physical therapy.

************************************

Please remember to vote! Click on the star and vote!