Chapter 5

The next day zoyé woke up to the smell of someone baking

The next day zoyé woke up to the smell of someone baking. Her stomach grumbled and for a minute she couldn't remember when was the last time she ate. She turn to look next to her and was greeted by a empty pillow. Khile must have woken up and gone to find Nickolai like he does every morning. She reached for the clock on the bedside table and bolted upright in surprised when the clock read one thirteen in the afternoon. She had slept half the day away.

With a groan she slid out of bed and practically dragged herself to the bathroom. She raised her hand to knock on the door out of habit then dropped it back to her side with a sigh when she remember she has her own private bathroom connecting to her room. All this was still taking some time to get use to. She looked in the mirror and cringed at her reflection. She slept half the day yet her face look like she hasn't slept in over a month.

After a quick bath she pulled on some comfortable clothes and went to find khile. She walked through the hall following the adult voices accompanied with childish laughter's which led her to the kitchen.

The boys sat on the kitchen highchairs by the counter each with a cupcake in front of them and a frosting pen. From the looks of it most of the frosting was on their faces, clothes and in their hair than actually on the cupcakes.

Samantha was bent over the oven removing more cupcakes and placing them on the counter out of the boys reach. While the boys were busy giggle at something the man next to them was saying or maybe its what he was doing with the frosting pen in his hand. It was hard to tell from where she stood in the doorway.

Just then the guy looked up and she could have sworn her heart skipped a beat when her eyes connected with his blue eyes.

"You" she breathed out in almost a whisper.

"Me" he replied as his lips slowly lifted in a smile that made her feel like she was melting.

"Mommy!" Khile exclaimed stretching his hands towards her for a hug.

She looked away from Sebastian and walked over to her son and gave him a hug and kiss on the forehead. She tickled his tummy them Nickolai sending them both into a fit of giggles.

"Look who's awake. If you weren't up in half an hour I was about to come check on you" said samtha removing the mittens from her hand after she removed the last batch of cupcakes from the oven.

"I overslept, I was more tired then I realized. What's with all the cupcakes?"

"I promised the boys I'd bake with them on my day off and Sebastian here is suppose to be teaching them how to decorate but as you can see, that's not happening"

Zoyé chuckled and went to help put the cupcakes in containers. After she got finished she lift khile from his chair and took him for a bath since Samantha took Nickolai to get cleaned up. She set him in front of the TV with a snack then went back to the kitchen to make a quick brunch and was surprised to see Sebastian by the stove. The combination of seasoning and whatever it is he's cooking made her stomach grumble announcing her presence in the kitchen.

"I'll make you a plate in a minute" he said over his shoulder

She sat at the counter and watched as he took a plate from the cupboard after opening a number of doors until he found the one with the plates. He placed a plate in front of her and a cup of hot chocolate with a candy cane dipped in the cup.

She took a bite of the food on her plate then looked up at him in surprise.

"This omelette taste amazing"

"I'm happy you like it"

He took a seat at the far end of the counter and sipped on his cup of hot chocolate. She watched as he stirred the beverage with the candy cane before lifting the cup to take another sip.

"What made you think to put the candy in it?"

"It's just something my mom does this time of year"

"Its delicious. Thank you"

"It was my pleasure"

"So you stitch people up and you can cook. What else are you good at?"

"Not exactly two things I would put together in a sentence but thank you"

She finished eating what was on her plate then walked over to the sink to wash her dishes. As she turned the water on she felt him come to stand behind her and she quickly turned yo face him with a startled look on her face.

"Just trying to reach around you to put my cup down I'm sorry" he said lifting his two hands his palms facing front right above his shoulders to show her he meant no arm.

"Sorry, I'm just a little jumpy" she replied turning away from him.

He sighed and stepped away from her and went to lean against the counter. After the silence in the room stretched on and all she could hear is the cartoon in the other room and Samantha talking with the boys she quickly looked over her shoulder at him then back down at the dishes.

"Don't look at me like that" she said breaking the silence.

"How am I looking at you?"

"With pity

"I don't pity you"

"Then what is it?"

"I'm worried about you"

"Well I'm fine"

"Are you? Because last night before you left work you looked so scared then when I was trying yo catch up with you to offer you a ride you ran away like a crazy person screaming"

"I'm not crazy! I thought it was him watching me through the windows at work. So when I was walking to the bus stop I thought he was the one following me"

"Have you told the police?"

"No I wasn't sure if I really saw him or if my mind is playing tricks on me"

He nodding in understanding but his expression says he doesn't agree one bit.

"Did you just come over to judge me?"

"I'm not judging you. I just think it's better to be safe than sorry and report anything suspicious"

"OK why do you care so much!?" She snapped at him.

He narrowed his eyes at her and instead of responding he turned and walked out of the kitchen leaving her leaning against the sink. She heard him say goodbye to Samantha and the boys then the front door opened and closed.

Suddenly she decided she prefered his sarcastic commentaries than his closed off face and the silence.

"Are you ok?" Asked Samantha as she walked into the kitchen.

"I don't know" zoyé replied

"He's just worried about you"

"I've never had anyone worry about me"

"And I've never seen him worry about a woman. See how that works out?"

Zoyé looked at her friend and started laughing then shook her head and groaned.