Chapter 11

"He fell asleep" said Zoyé as she immerged from the bedroom in the back of the jet where she had put Khile down to sleep

"Good, you should get some rest too we have a long way to go" Sebastian replied lost in the book he was pretending to read.

"I'm not tired yet" she replied

"Your drooping eyes would say different"

"Why are you being like this" she snapped

"What do you mean?" He asked still staring into the book.

"I mean you've barely said anything to me since we boarded the plane, you've been stuck on the same page of that darn book and your expression would scare even a robber away"

He sighed and closed the book then looked up at her.

"Are you having doubt's?" She asked her voice shaking

In a instant he crossed the small space between them and sat next to her and took her hands.

"I know how I feel about you, there will be no doubt about that, ever. You and Khile crept into my life when I never even saw you guys coming but I'm happy for the first time in so long. When I saw that cut on his back the first thing that hit me is we could have lost him and it rocked me more than I expected. Then I thought about how you must be feeling and it angers me to know someone could hurt you both this way."

"I know, but we're OK now. It scares me when you shut me out"

She placed her hand on his cheek and he repeated her actions. He pulled her to him until she was draped across his lap. He wanted to kiss her but held back because he knew once he kissed her he wouldn't be able to stop, and this was not the place he wish to claim her for the first time. Besides he promised her he would wait for her to come to him.

"How did you meet him?"

"I got pregnant as soon as I started my second year of college. My boyfriend at the time didn't want to be a father. He told me if I didn't want him to breakup with me, I would have to agree to an abortion"

"You choose to keep your baby" he said placing a kiss on the side of her head.

"Yes. My mother couldn't help me because she is already struggling to make two ends meet so I had to drop out of school and get a job. I got a job at a restaurant where i met Rick. He was nice to me. Always bringing me flowers, tell me how beautiful I am and took me on dates. He made me forget my problems and promised to take care of me and my baby"

"What changed?"

"When Khile turned two Rick lost his job. He had no money saved up because he was taking care of us. He started dealing and abusing drugs. One thing lead to the other and he started beating Khile. I tried to run away all the time but he would always catch us and threaten to hurt us if I tried to leave again. Things would get better then get bad all over again. He broke Khile's arm and that's when I met Samantha. Shortly after he tried to beat him again for flushing his cocaine but I pushed Khile out of the way. Rick turned on me and he would have hurt me worse but I stabbed him and grabbed Khile and ran."

"That's when I met you...when you came in for you're injuries"

"Yes"

Sebastian was silent for a while thinking over all she just told him. He understood why she always tried to do everything on her own, why her independence means so much.

"Did you love him?"

"No. He was just an outlet. He made things easier for me when I had nowhere else to turn, but we both knew it was never a love connection"

"Good, a man like that doesn't deserve your love"

"Why are you helping us?" Asked Zoyé as she slipped off his lap so she could get a better look at his face.

"You need my help."

"Yes but that's not all is it?"

"No its not all"

"Then why?"

He studied her face and he saw the anxious look in her eyes. He could tell she was scared to hear his answer and he sighed a looked away because he knew she still wasn't ready to hear the full truth.

"Get some sleep. We have a few more hours ahead of us" he replied. He kissed her forehead and went to get her a pillow and blanket from the small closet.

He went back to trying to read his book but found himself watching her sleep.

He longed to tell her how he feels but he held back. He hoped the police would catch the ex of hers soon so she could stop living her life having to look over her shoulder all the time.

For his sake he hoped his family would be welcoming towards her. He wanted them to meet her for more reasons than one, but given the way his brother behaved when they came to visit he must admit he was a bit nervous about taking her home.

He decided to take a short nap since they still had a little ways to go. When he woke up Zoyé had climbed in bed with Khile. He hate to disturb them but they were close to landing so he had no choice.

"Are we there yet?" She asked in a sleepy voice.

"Almost, you guys have to get up and get ready for landing"

Zoyé strapped Khile in then sat next to him and strapped herself in. She looked out the window. Her gazed traveled over the landscape as the plane went lower to the ground.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Sebastian asked staring at her.

"So beautiful" Zoyé replied

"It's good to be home"

"How long as it been since you've been back here"

"Too long" he replied

"Are you nervous to see your family?"

"Just a little"

"Are you guys close?"

"I'm the black sheep of the family. The one that strayed from the flock. My brother Luca is more the golden boy. He stayed and took over the family business but I choose to be a silent partner. I only step in when I'm needed."

He didn't bother to mention they also wanted him to marry a Italian girl because he didn't need her feeling out of place. He kept things on a need to know basis.

Welcome to Florence, Italy. The stewardess announced as the plane jetted down the runway and came go a stop.