Chapter 6: Sam

"Nathan, why are you calling me? I'm in the middle of a meeting."

"I'm sorry, but you won't believe who showed up at work today. Can you come over, now?"

"What? Now?"

"Yes. Please, Jo. I need you to tell me I'm not hallucinating."

"Okay fine. I'll be there in ten minutes."

I haven't seen him being so much beside himself, since Elena got injured by Flynn's grenade.

Could it have been Rafe? No, he sounded happy, not scared. Who could he have run into?

"Ehh, boss, I need some time off. My friend is probably in trouble.", I asked the principal.

"Okay, Miss Sullivan, go. But call me to tell me for how long you will be gone."

"Thank you, Mister Shepard. Thank you very much."

I hurried to my bike and drove like hell. After only five minutes I reached the harbour, where I saw Nathan talking to someone, who looked familiar. It took me a few seconds to settle my thought, but it didn't take long for me to recognise him.

"Sam?! Sam?? Is that really you? Oh my god, Sam!"

I ran towards him and hugged him tightly.

"Jo! It's so good to see you."

We pulled away and I turned to Nathan, who seemed completely overwhelmed.

"But you were dead, Sam? We saw you fall! I had no idea. If I knew, I would have-"

"I know.", he cut me off.

"But how did you ...?", Nathan asked.

"It's better to sit down. It will be a long story.", he answered.

Sam told us everything about his escape, about Hector Alcázar, who brought him out and now demands half of the treasure.

"How much time do we got?", I asked, as he finished.

"Three months."

"That's not much. So ... where do we start?"

"What? Wait a moment: We?", Nathan interrupted.

"Yes, of course. Or do you want to leave Sam alone with this?"

"No, but there has to be another way. Jo we live a normal life now. We have jobs. And what about Elena?"

"She won't understand. But we have no other choice. We can't just talk Alcázar out of this. Not in this short time."

"Come on, Nathan, it's gonna be the tree of us, hunting the treasure. Just as it was before.", Sam added.

"Okay, fine. One last time ... you know that Elena will murder us for this, right?"

"Ah, she'll get over it." I knew it wasn't nice to just leave her now, but she wouldn't want us to go, so we pretty much didn't have any other choice. I phoned her to tell her about a spontaneous class-trip with my students, that would take a week and Nathan promised to tell her later, that he accepted the job in Malaysia, which his boss told him about a few days ago.

Those were bad excuses, but I didn't want her to join us. Not because I didn't think she could handle it, but because I wanted to know her safe. After all she was my best friend and in case anything happened to her, I could never forgive me.

"So, how do we start?", I asked.

"Do you remember the cross? Well there is more than one. In a few days there will be an auction in Italy, where they are selling another one.", Sam informed us.

"Maybe we'll find another clue within it."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan, Sam and me were standing on a hill near the Rossi estate, in which the auction would take place.

"Okay, my father will be waiting for us in there. We will join him by sneaking in and then?", I asked.

"We'll speak to Sully. He helps us to infiltrate the estate and to steal the cross.", Nathan answered.

"Sully?". Sam asked. "We're talking about the same Sully, aren't we? Do you really trust him?"

"Hey! He is my damn father! Of course I trust him. I know he screwed on many people, but he would never screw on us."

"Yeah, but ..."

"Hey, look! There's the signal.", Nate interrupted and pointed to a flickering light in a room in the estate. "Come on, guys, we need to hurry.", he said and began to climb towards it. Me and Sam followed him. After a few minutes we reached the now dark room, where we were supposed to meet my father.

"Sully? Are you there?", Nathan asked.

"You know, what I really like about those criminal auctions? No one cares if you smoke indoors.", he answered as he tuned on the light.

"Hello, Dad." We quickly hugged, but them my father noticed Sam.

"Samuel goddamn Drake. How long has it been?"

"Long enough.", he answered.

"It's good to see you alive, pal."

"I hate to interrupt your little talk, but be need to hurry."

"Okay, okay, Jo. Why don't we go downstairs to the auction and gain an overview?"

We quickly changed our clothes. Nathan and Sam wore suits, whereas I brought a dress. It was black and only reached to my knees. I made sure I could move in it, so if something went wrong I would be able to fight.

Before we headed downstairs, I quickly checked my hair in a nearby mirror. It looked really good for the fact that I climbed over a cliff to get in here. Suddenly I realised that Nathan was waiting for me. I lightly blushed.

He smiled and offered me his arm. "Shall we, Miss Sullivan?"

"Any time, Mister Drake."