Chapter 16: Just Drive and Shoot

Hey friends, I am so sorry for not updating. There has been a lot on my mind lately, but here it is: another chapter (finally!) yay ;) I hope I'll be able to update more frequently the next weeks. See you :D

"Shit."

"Let me guess; he sends best regards."

"Indeed. Shoreliners with weapons are on their way. Sam?", I asked into the phone.

"For God and Liberty. You understand what this means?"

"Listen, Sam. Get off the streets right now. And destroy your phone."

"What's going on?"

"My stupid ex-boyfriend knows where we are and he won't come to talk about old times. You need to hide. Fast!"

I heard a muffled "shit" and gunfire.

"Sam? Sam? Damn it."

The phone was dead. I smashed it on the ground and stamped on it.

"I guess, I have to find another way to call my boss and tell him, that I need some more time off."

We walked out of the hall, through the corridor and out of the tower. The market was still crowded.

"Hey, Jo. I think that is Sam's tower."

"Well, then let's go there. Come on."

We began making our way through the crowd.

"How long do you think it will take until Rafe shows up?", Nathan asked.

"Let's not stick around to find out."

We walked down some stairs, when suddenly we heard an artillery.

"Nate, take cover!", I yelled and jumped behind a wooden box. There were Shoreliners everywhere and it took some time but in the end, there was only the piece of artillery left.

"Nate?", I screamed.

"I'm kinda busy right now.", he said while shooting.

"It is impossible to take out the artillery. We have to borrow a car and drive away!"

"Borrow? You mean steal."

"Borrow for an undefined amount of time ... Yeah okay steal. But we have to go now!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming."

We jumped into the car.

"No way I'm letting you drive! I still feel sick, because of our Safari-tour."

"Jo, this is really not the time to argue.", Nathan answered and ducked because of the gunfire.

"Okay, okay.", I admitted and sat down on the passenger seat.

"Am I really driving so bad?", Nathan asked.

"Just drive!"

"Whereto? How do we get to Sam?"

"Downhill, I suppose."

He sped up and drove past some mercenaries. Suddenly the car with the artillery popped up in front of us.

"Where the hell did they come from?"

"I don't care, but they can't stay here.", I said and began firing at the driver. I missed him due to the constant driving, but instead I hit one of the tires of the car, so it was more difficult to drive straight.

"Good job, but we need to get rid of them."

"Drive into this alley. They can't follow us there."

Unfortunately we met them again a few streets later. Nathan flinched and pulled the steering-wheel round.

"Jesus Christ, what are you doing?", I screamed.

"You were the one to say: Just drive down. See I got it."

Just as he said that, the car appeared one more.

"Ugh, you gotta be kidding me!"

"Drive up the stairs and then down the hill. It will lead us right to the tower, I hope."

"You hope?", Nate asked.

"I'm like 80% sure. 60 ... well to be honest-"

"I'm just gonna trust you on this.", Nathan interrupted me and drove on. After a few minutes we reached the tower and spotted Sam on a bridge. He was driving a motorcycle and was hunted by multiple Shoreliners. We followed the convoy until we ran out of road, because of a river. Nathan threw his climbing rope and it clenched to one of the cars on the bridge. I did the same, because else, I would have fallen into the water, buried under our car. We were pulled forwards by the cars on the bridge. It dragged me into the water and through dirt before I finally could climb on the car.

I immediately began shooting at the mercenaries.

"Nathan, you okay?", I shouted.

"I don't know yet.", he yelled back.

We took out every mercenary we saw until Nathan drove a car and I took over a motorcycle. We kept on killing the Shorliners with Sam, when suddenly Nate's car was hit by a truck. It overturned and eventually wasn't moving any more. Nathan was nowhere to be seen.

"Nathan?". I stopped my motorcycle next to his car, under which I spotted him. "Nathan, you okay?"

He groaned.

"The car will explode. You need to get away from there! Come on!"

I grabbed his hand and began to pull him out.

"Watch out!", he screamed and shot two mercenaries behind my back, that I didn't even notice.

"Thanks." we both said and smiled. Suddenly another car with a piece of artillery appeared behind us. Sam drove past us and yelled something like "Move your asses and follow me!"

"Fast, get on the motorcycle!", I yelled and we ran towards it. "No, no, no. I drive, you shoot."

Nathan agreed and sat on the motorcycle behind me. If it wasn't for the extreme danger and the

"I'm-almost-dead-feeling", I would have enjoyed the ride and the feeling of his hand on my waist.

I drove as fast as I could, but the car was always close behind us.

"How are you doing back there?", I asked.

"Not good, not good at all", Nathan answered while shooting at the car.

I drove on behind Sam and finally the car exploded, so I could stop.

"Holy shit, that was close."

"Yeah.", Nathan said.

I noticed, that his chest was leaning against my back and his hand was still around my waist. It made me immediately feel safe.

"You good?", Nahtan asked.

"Yeah, you?"

"I think so, but, hey, we're alive, so ... it could have been worse.", he patted my shoulder. "Let's get out of here."

I restarted the motorcycle and drove back to the city, Sam a few metres in front of us. I felt Nate's hands holding onto my waist. He leaned his head on my shoulder, which caused me to smile. The sky was painted orange and yellow, the wind was rushing through my hair, the adrenaline rushing through my veins and I have never felt more alive than on this drive with Nathan.