Chapter 19: Climbing in the Rain

I kept driving the boat for an hour and we reached the island.

"I'll find us a spot to ashore.", I said.

"I think we're at the right place.", Nathan considered.

"At least there is an island.", Sam threw in.

"Jo, look.", Nathan shouted over the sound of the engine.

"Well, that definitely qualifies as man-made."

There was a tower on the island. I parked the boat and we went ashore. After climbing and walking for some time we found a door in the ground.

"Maybe the treasure lies underneath.", I thought.

"I don't think so. Avery had a pretty big ego. I bet he stored it in a more elaborate place."

We kept walking around, found some marks and arrows. Nathan wrote down everything in his journal and eventually figured out, that we had to follow every arrow, we saw. That included driving with the boat, but this time I passed the wheel to Nathan. We ended up in a big cave, where we left the boat to go ashore. We climbed out of the cave and found a path, which we followed. After some hours of climbing, walking and finding ruins of some old buildings, we entered a great hall, where we had to solve a riddle. In the middle of the hall was a wheel. We had to turn it to put some symbols on the ceiling in the right place. After we solved everything, we entered an elevator, well, it was just a wooden platform moving upstairs, and ended up outside again. It was an amazing view over almost the whole island.

"Hey, look.", Sam pointed to a huge statue of Avery, that appeared out of nowhere.

"Holy shit."

"You know, I'm starting to assume, that our friend was a bit of a narcissist.", Nathan said.

"No way! How could you tell?", I answered sarcastically, which caused him to laugh.

"Let's see what our friend's got in store for us.", he suggested and the three of us went towards the statue. By now the sun was setting and clouds appeared in the sky. I hoped, that it wouldn't rain later. The wind was rushing through my hair as we climbed down and I began to freeze. We entered the boat again and Nathan drove to the other side of the island, where the statue was.

"Looks like he's got a spy glass ... but he's not really looking through it."

"Maybe he wants us to look through it.", Nathan considered.

We reached the statue, but the spy glass was too high for any of us to reach. I knelt down to boost Nathan up.

"No, you do the honours.", he replied. "And besides, I am way too heavy for you to carry me."

"Okay."

I placed my foot on his crossed hands and held onto his shoulder. He counted to three and I jumped up to the spy glass.

"All right, Captain, what are we looking at?"

Through the spy glass I could spot another island. Unfortunately I could also spot dark clouds and lightnings.

"So?", Sam asked.

"What did you see?"

"Another island. A big island.", I replied and jumped down to the two brothers.

"That's gotta be it. Libertalia.", Sam got excited.

"That's optimistic. Considering everything."

"Come on, Nate. It's just us out here. No Rafe, no Nadine, no Shoreliners. Just us. You are allowed to feel a little excitement.", Sam insisted.

"Yeah, come on. We almost freed him.", I supported Sam.