Chapter 14: Lemur

---------------------Jo's point of view-------------------------

"Goodbye, guys!", I said. Nathan waved as Sully and Same drove away.

"So, pretty long distance to go, I guess."

Nathan shrugged. "Won't be a problem to me. And if you are not able to go on, I'll carry you."

"You wish!", I laughed and we headed towards city.

"So, what exactly are we expecting in the tower?", I asked.

"Well, best case scenario would be us finding the treasure, but it could also be another clue or it could be a dead end and the treasure is in neither the both towers."

"That would be bad. We definitely need a plan B for Sam."

"You're right. If we don't find the treasure, ..."

"We have to talk Alcázar out of that, or we will have to kill him."

"Yeah, most likely the last option."

"I fear so, yes."

We continued walking and reached the city after a one hour walk. The town was very crowded, because there was a market. Trades shouted, people were chattering, but I didn't understand a word.

"Come on, there's the tower." Nate pointed towards it and we started walking.

"You really think the treasure is just laying there in the middle of a goddamn market?", I doubted.

"Who knows.", Nathan shrugged.

"Oh my god, Nathan. Look, there is a fluffy, cute ... what exactly is that?" I spotted an animal on a shoulder of a guy, who sat on the ground.

"Eh, I think it's a Lemur."

We knelt down to him and Nate petted the Lemur.

"Hey there, little guy. How you doin'?", he said. "Come here, Jo. He is so fluffy."

I began to pet the Lemur and our hands touched, which caused a bolt of electricity to run through my veins. Suddenly the Lemur bite in my finger and I felt a scorching pain.

"Ouch!"

The owner of the Lemur pulled it away, letting hear a muffled "sorry".

"My god, that hurts." I cursed and wiped away the blood.

"You okay?", Nathan asked.

"Yeah, sure, it's just a small cut.", I answered and searched for a plaster in my shoulder bag, but I struggled to stick it on my finger.

"Wait, let me do this.", Nathan said. He softly grabbed the plaster and put it on my finger. His hand delicately stroke mine and our eyes met. He smiled and patted my finger.

"See? Everything's okay again."

"Yeah, thank you, Dr. Drake.", I joked. "Come on, we need to go to the tower."

"You're right, Jo. But you have to admit, he was very cute."

"Indeed.", I chuckled.

We went on, when I suddenly felt tiny paws climbing on my shoulder. It was the Lemur again.

"Aaah, oh my god!", I flinched.

"Well, look who's back.", Nathan said.

"Please don't bite me again!", I pressed through my teeth. Luckily the Lemur went away soon after I said that. Nathan laughed.

"What?"

"Nothing, it's just ... I saw you fight and shoot and the one thing you're afraid of is a bite from a little ball of fur.", he chuckled.

"Hey, you're biggest fear are clowns!"

"Yeah, you might have a point with that."

We reached the tower, but found the door locked.

"Seems like we have to sneak in.", I assumed.

"Yeah, looks that way."

After a few minuted we found a broken window and climbed inside. There was a big circle in the middle of the tower and in it's centre I could spot a small pillar. It was about one metre tall and had a carved circle in it's middle.

"Now what do you bet.", Nathan said and put the coin from Scotland in the circle. Everything started moving and turning. We figured out that the statues, that turned around, showed us in which order we should ring the bells in the tower. Unfortunately the staircase was broken, so we had to climb upstairs.

"This is definitely the place, Jo. Call Sam and Sully. I'll climb upstairs to ring the bells."

"All right, but I'll join you once I'm finished."

He started climbing and I called Sam.

"Voicemail.", I sighed. "Hey, Sam, we're definitely at the right place. Please call back when you hear this."

"Jo?", Nathan shouted. "Come over here. I'll help you up with the rope."

"Got it."

He tossed down the rope and held onto it while I climbed. When I reached him he grabbed my hand and pulled me up.

"Thanks, Nate.", I said trying to ignore the fact, that we were still holding hands.

"No problem.", he let go of my hand, which I noticed with a little disappointment. "Let's ring some bells."

After each bell, we rung the statue tuned around again and a wooden board on the ground disappeared. After the last bell was rung, Avery's sigil appeared on the floor. We figured out, we had to ring the biggest bell on the top as well, so we began climbing. I balanced my way across a wooden plank, but when I reached the other side, I heard a cracking behind me.

"Oh shit.", Nathan said before falling down, most likely to his death, if I didn't react so fast and grabbed his hand.

"Aaaah, crap!"

Nathan tried to get a hold on the plank, I now was laying on. I grabbed his other hand and tried to pull him up. Finally he managed to roll onto the platform, right next to me.

"Never! Never do that again, Nate."

"All right, I agree.", he panted. "You can let go of my hand now."

I didn't notice me still holding his hand, but apparently I did.

"Oh, sorry, right." I let go.

See? He doesn't want you. He just sees you as his sister.

Oh shut up! I don't want to be more that just his sister!

Oh, yes, you do. Just admit it: You've fallen in love with him!

No I didn't.

I sighed. Why was it always this complicated? Sometimes I really hated my way of thinking. It would only make things more complicated.

Heyyy;) I'm back from vacation and decided to post another chapter. Hope you enjoyed it :) See you ;)