Chapter 31: The Treasure

(This is what you all have been waiting for)

hehe :P

------------Jo's point of view------------------

"Wake up, Jo! Come on.", I heard Nathan's voice.

The next thing I realised, was, that my forehead hurt pretty much and that Nate was cupping my cheek with his hand. I opened my eyes.

"Jo! Oh my God, Jo, you're awake!", he hugged me tightly. "I thought, I had lost you again."

"I'm fine.", I managed to say. "Where's Sam?"

We pulled away. "Good question. Did he leave you just like this?", Nathan asked.

"I don't know. I was unconscious, but I am sure he had his reasons to do so."

He nodded. "And you're really okay?"

"Yeah, I just got a terrible headache."

"Aww, come here.", Nate said and stroke my temple. "It will be better soon."

Our eyes met and I got lost in them. These blue eyes ...

"Jo, I have to tell you something.", Nathan started.

"Okay."

"It's something, I wanted to tell you long ago, but ... I guess I just got scared." He looked down. "You know, that I care about you very much. You are my best friend and you mean the world to me. But lately I discovered, that I feel ... more than just friendship between us. You are the most amazing person in the world. It doesn't matter, that your hair looks messy, or that you have a scar on your face. All that matters to me, is that you are you, because you are the person I fell in love with."

I looked at him with tears in my eyes. "You ... you fell in love? With me?"

"Yes, I did.", he smiled.

I was unable to say something. This was all I ever hoped for. He returned my affection. I could not think straight.

"Please say something, Jo."

I looked into his wonderful eyes. "I fell in love with you, too." It felt so good to say it out loud. "I fell in love with you, Nathan."

He smiled at me and placed his hand on my cheek again. We leaned in and our lips met. It was a soft kiss, full of emotion and love. Eventually we pulled away and grinned at each other.

"Well, somebody once said, I had I weird sense of romance ...", he started.

"Yeah, I heard that before.", I chuckled and hugged him.

"You know, I was searching for the right girlfriend for so many years just to find out, that she was next to me all the time.", Nate smiled and lightly pressed me against his chest.

"And I always thought, that I could only be happy, when I was sure, that my Ex wouldn't show up again, when I only had to open my heart to you. When I look into your eyes or see you smile, when I laugh about your stupid puns, that is when I'm truly happy. And I won't let Rafe destroy this feeling."

We pulled away. "Speaking of him, we should probably get Sam out of there before Rafe shows up.", Nate suggested.

"You're right. Let's save your brother. Again."

We got up and figured, that we had to dive through a hole under the lake to reach the next cave, where we would hopefully find Sam. We surfaced under a wooden platform. Nadine and Rafe were standing on it and argued about whether they should follow Sam or just leave with the treasure, they already got. With the help of a gun and a mercenary Rafe was able to convince Nadine to join them and they all got into a boat and drove to the Gunsway.