Chapter 21: Hostage

"Nathan?", I began to panic. He is not dead. He can't be dead. "Nathan?!"

Suddenly I felt someone grab my waist from behind and was pressed against someone's chest. A hand covered my mouth to stop my scream.

"Hello, Sweatheart.", Rafe whispered into my ear.

I tried to tear myself away from him, but he was too strong. He turned me around and pinned me against a wall.

"It's been a long time.", he smiled.

"Let go of me!"

Now that I could look behind Rafe, I saw, that he wasn't alone. At least ten people of Nadine's army were accompanying him. Too many to take them out all by myself. Rafe searched me and took away my gun. Luckily he didn't find the knife in my left boot. I always carried one with me in case I run out of ammo.

"Where is your friend, Rafe?", I asked referring to Nadine.

"I'm happy, that you ask. She is searching for your boyfriend and his stupid brother and probably killing them right now."

"No! Rafe, please. You can't do that."

"Oh, you're terribly wrong, my dear. Remember my promise? The two of them will die.", he grinned at me devilishly and turned around to one of the mercenaries. "Bind her hands."

The man came over to me and tied me up with a rope. I considered knocking him out or stabbing him, but I would have been shot dead before I would reach the next mercenary.

"Jo! Come with me!", Rafe yelled.

"Or what?"

"You know what happens, when you don't do as I command. Look, we will spend the rest of our lives together, but we can only live in peace, when the two Drakes are dead."

"I will never spend my life with you! You're a psychopath."

Rafe took a few steps towards me and grabbed my hands, that were tied up in front of me. With his other hand he pulled a gun out of his holster and pointed it at my head. The barrel touched my forehead.

"You will either live with me or die. You had the chance to save the two brothers, but you didn't take it. Now I have to kill them. But if you won't come with me, I will have to beat you up again. You decide."

I thought about what he just said, but figured out, that it was the best to act like I would join him. When we are meeting Nathan and Sam, the three of us could find a way to get rid of Rafe.

"I'm coming with you."

"See? You're still in love with me.", Rafe smiled and pushed me forwards.

I scoffed. "Yeah, keep telling yourself that."

After a short walk we ran into Nathan and Sam.

Thank God, they're still alive.

When Sam noticed Rafe and his mercenaries, he immediately put his gun to Nadine's head, holding her hostage. It took Nathan a moment to spot me next to Rafe. 

"Let her go!!", he screamed, but Rafe noticed Nadine being threatened by Sam and pulled me towards him. His left hand was placed around my neck so I wouldn't move, while his right hand held a gun at my temple.

"Everybody just calm down, okay?", Nathan tried to tranquillize the situation. The look on his face was blank panic.

"Well, that is interesting.", Rafe stated.

"Put your guns down!", Sam shouted at the mercenaries. "Or I will shot her."

"Oh, that's funny, I wanted to say the same.", Rafe chuckled. "And no we will not. Everyone knows, you don't kill anyone in cold blood. It's not your style."