Chapter 20: From Holding Hands to RPG

I awoke at daybreak. My back hurt like hell and I tried to get up, but due to the pain I laid down again. Then I realised, that Nathan and I were still holding hands. He was obviously still asleep, so I tried my best to be calm and not wake him. His hand felt good in mine. I slightly stroke it with my thumb.

Jo, what are you doing? I reprimanded myself. You can't just stroke him. He probably doesn't want that. Better let go of his hand.

I softly pulled my hand away, but Nathan, still sleeping, held onto it.

Well, I guess that is a good sign ...

Our hands were still locked, when Nathan woke up. He sat up and turned to me.

"Ah, sleeping beauty finally awoke.", I teased him.

"Well, thanks for kissing me awake, Prince ... what was his name again?"

"Haha, very funny."

He stood up without letting go of my hand and then pulled me up as well. Nate looked at me insecurely, as if he wanted to say something, but decided against it. We let go of each other's hand and went out of the cave. Luckily it stopped raining. Suddenly I noticed a flickering light across the island.

"Nathan, there's someone sending a message in Morse code."

"I know, I know, ... S ... I ... C ..."

"Sic Parvis Magna. That's Sam!"

Nathan ran back inside the cave and came back with his flashlight. He sent something back in Morse code.

"C'mon. Where are you?"

"I think the light was somewhere around that creepy mountain.", I answered.

"Okay then, let's go to that ... creepy mountain."

We began walking, but had to climb soon. After some time we ended up on a cliff. Nathan looked around for a sign of Sam. Suddenly I noticed boats driving towards the island. I tapped against

Nate's shoulder.

"We're having visitors."

"Shit. That's Rafe."

"We need to get to Sam, before he does. Come on."

I fastened my climbing rope on a nearby branch and swung across the gorge. Nathan followed behind me. After a huge amount of time of climbing rocks, swinging on climbing ropes and crawling through caves, we ended up in the jungle.

"What a nice surprise.", Nathan said and pointed towards a skeleton, that was hanging from a rock upside down.

"Oh, hey, buddy. Seen anyone around here?", I asked the body jocularly.

"Tall ... lanky ... filled with big, stupid ideas about a pirate treasure?", Nathan continued.

"If it answers, I'm gonna flip out."

Nathan laughed. "Oh, look there's another one. Maybe he saw somebody."

I chuckled and we went over to the other skeleton, that was laying on the ground. There was a letter in it's hand. It was written by someone, who tried to find the treasure, but failed. He was apparently returning to come back with more men.

"Bad luck, huh?"

Nathan nodded and put the letter in his journal. He sighed. "Poor bastards."

We went on climbing, when we suddenly ran into some mercenaries. They immediately spotted us and began shooting. After we took them out, we picked up all the ammo we could find.