Chapter 15: Bells and an unexpected call

"So, you okay again?", I asked and stood up. Nathan was still laying on the platform looking kinda paralyzed.

"Yeah, I just got a heart attack, but now I'm fine. And thanks for saving me.", he smiled.

"Any time.", I smiled back and he got up.

"So, anyway, let's keep moving."

We climbed upstairs until we reached the last bell. Unfortunately the wheel broke.

"Ugh, you can't be serious. What do we do now?", I asked.

"Well, you see the pendulum? I guess one of us has to swing it, by hanging on it."

"Okay. In no case you're doing this. No offence, but you weigh more than me, so it would break more easily, if you would hang on it."

"You're right, but be careful."

"As always."

"That's what I'm afraid of.", he mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, nothing."

"Hey, I won't fall down. You know I can climb."

I jumped at the pendulum and began swinging. In the very moment, when the pendulum touched the bell, everything collapsed. The bell, the pendulum and me fell down. Luckily I got a hold on a big gearwheel, whereas the bell and the pendulum fell onto the ground.

"JO?"

"I'm okay! Oh shit."

The wheel started moving, which caused me to fall down on another platform, which also broke, I held onto another pendulum and in the end fall onto the ground. I felt the pain in my still wounded shoulder, but for now I had to ignore it.

"Nathan? Are you all right?"

No one answered.

"Nathan?!", I started to panic. "Nathan, can you hear me?"

I looked around. The whole tower laid in ruins.

"Jo?", I heard a quiet voice.

"Nathan! Where are you?"

Suddenly I noticed a wooden platform and a hand, that was laying underneath. A hand with a familiar looking watch.

"Nathan! I'm on my way."

I ran over to him and lifted the platform (well as high as I could), so he could crawl away. He did so and eventually I could let go of the platform. He sat on the ground and touched his forehead, where I could see a cut. He groaned in pain.

"I hope there won't be a scar.", he said. I sat down next to him.

"Scars are ink and our bodies are paper. We keep writing our story with the scars we get."

"Where the hell did you get that from?"

"If I can't sleep at night I think and that is the result of five cups of coffee, a full moon and someone, who is too afraid to sleep."

"Because of the nightmares?", Nathan asked.

I nodded.

"You don't have to keep thinking all night, alone, in the dark. You can always wake me up in the middle of the night. I will make a cup of coffee for the two of us and we can talk or just sit, but you won't be alone."

"Thank you, Nate." I leaned my head against his shoulder and sighed. "Wait, your cut! It definitely needs to be disinfected!"

I opened my shoulder bag and pulled out a towel and disinfectant spray.

"Look to the ceiling and close your eyes. I don't want to spray in your eyes accidentally."

He did as I said and I patched him up. After I finished I stuck a plaster on his forehead, so the wound would stay clean.

"As good as new.", I stated and pulled back from him.

"Thank you very much."

We stood up.

"So, what exactly revealed the whole bell-ringing?", I asked.

"It looks like it opened a door to a staircase into the basement."

"Well, then, let's see what Avery's got in store for us."

We walked down the stairs and entered a corridor, when I suddenly heard my phone ringing.

"Sam. Finally."

"Hey, Jo, I just searched my tower. I got nothing."

"Yeah, well, we're definitely in the right place. Make your way over here."

"Are you serious? Okay, I'm on my way."

I ended the call.

"He's coming.", I said to Nate.

"Good."

We walked down a few more stairs and eventually ended up in a huge hall. There were statues of Thomas Tew and Henry Avery.

"Partners in crime.", Nathan said and headed towards a round wooden board in the centre of the hall. We found out that there were the sigils of the members of Avery's crew and we had to turn them the right way. After about half an hour and a few desperate calls with Sam, we finally solved the riddle and found out, that Avery had most likely taken the treasure to Libertalia, an old pirate-utopia kind of place. I took photos of various symbols and sent them to Sam. Suddenly my phone rang again.

"Sam, did you get the photos?", I asked, but instead of an answer I just heard an evil laugh.

"How have you been, darling?", Rafe asked. I looked at Nathan in shock.

"Hey, Rafe. It's been a while. How did you get this number?"

"That's not important. What's important is that I give you a chance. A chance to come with me."

"Why should I do that?"

"Because it's the only way I will let your boyfriend and his brother live. Join me, Jo, help me find Avery's treasure and your friends will live."

I ignored the fact, that he called Nathan my boyfriend.

"Rafe, we both know that you won't keep your promise and we both know that you don't have the tiniest chance against Nathan Drake. So, thank you, but no, thank you."

"Well, that's a shame, Jo. Now I have to kill the two brothers and force you to come with me."

"Keep your hands away from Nathan and Sam or, I swear to God, I will kill you myself."

"Woah, what an attitude! I'm impressed. The last time I saw you, you were really scared and needed to hold onto your boyfriends arm."

"He's not my boyfriend!", I shouted into the phone. I blushed and turned away from Nate. "And besides I don't think, Nathan is that kind of guy, who likes to quit while he's ahead."

"Okay. Pro deus quod licentia. For God and liberty. These are nice pictures, Jo."

"You hacked our phones."

"You stole my cross. And ran away from me. Listen; if you're as smart as you think you are, love, you'll accept my offer."

I noticed, that Sam was calling. "You know, it was really nice to catch up with you, but I gotta take this call."

Before I could end the call with Rafe, I heard him shout.

"Wait, Jo. One more thing ... you do realize, that your phones are equipped with GPS, right? I'll see you soon, darling. I love you."

He ended the call.