Chapter 30: Hiking with Sam

After some time of walking we reached a gap between two platforms. Luckily there was a wooden board on a rope, that we could use to get across. Nathan jumped to the other side and pulled the board towards him with his rope, while we were standing on it. He then climbed up towards us and Sam helped him up. Sully and Elena were already standing on the platform, but when Nathan stepped on the board, it collapsed, but luckily we could find a hold on the remaining parts.

"Nathan! Jump to my father!", I shouted and just as he reached him, the board completely broke and Sam and me had no other choice, but jump back to the platform, where we came from.

"You need to jump across!", Nathan shouted.

"It's too far.", I shouted back.

"No, it's not. I'll catch you.", he assured, but I noticed the look on Sam's face.

"No, don't even think about it!", Nathan shouted.

"I'm sorry, I got you into this.", he told us. "But I have to do this."

He jogged away.

"Sam! If you go now. I'll come after you!", Nathan yelled. "You hear me?"

"Nate, listen. I have to follow him. I'll keep an eye on him.", I said and ran after him.

"Jo! Sam!", I heard him shout after us, but I had to focus now.

"Sam? Where are you?"

"Jo? Why are you coming with me?", he asked and appeared from behind a rock.

"You're my friend. I won't let you do stupid things alone."

"But we will most likely meet Rafe again."

"I know. That is one reason for accompanying you. I have to end this chapter with him. Tell him, that it's finally over and that he will never harm you or Nathan."

"I understand.", he looked at me with a smile. "You're so brave, you know? I saw how he treated you before we got separated and nevertheless you still want to fight him."

"You know, I am scared as hell. But I got you, so it's two against two."

"You're right. We will make it and then we will find the treasure."

"All right, then let's go."

We entered the forest again and soon had to climb. After some time we ended up at some pretty high cliffs.

"Agh, I didn't sign up for this shit.", Sam cursed.

"Oh, c'mon. It's not as bad as it loo ... okay maybe it is.", I made a step away from the edge. It was quite a drop. I couldn't even see the ground.

Sam sighed. "Okay, let's go, but watch your steps. Nathan will literally kill me, if something happens to you."

"Really?"

"Yeah, he ..."

"What?", I asked curiously.

"Nothing.", he turned around and began climbing.

I shrugged and followed closely behind. After we had climbed for some time, we were able to walk on again and headed towards the mountain. A path lead us into a cave, where we crossed a wooden bridge. After that we slipped down a tunnel and swung across a gorge on my climbing rope. We crossed another bridge and climbed down to a small underground lake. Suddenly the rock I was holding onto broke. I tried to get a hold on something else, but it wasn't possible. Everything went black, when I hit the ground.

-----------Sam's point of view----------------

"Jo, grab my hand! Jo!", I screamed, but it was too late.

I hurried to climb down to her and knelt down next to her.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up!"

I noticed, that her head was laying in a pool of blood and lifted it up. Right next to her scar was a laceration, that bled heavily.

"Shit. Come on, Jo. Don't do this to me, to Sully, to Nate. He needs you! Wake up."

I checked her pulse and breathing. It was weak, but at least, she was alive.

What do I do now? Leave her? Wait for her to wake up? Rafe will be gone with the treasure, when she wakes up. But I can't just leave her here! That's not worth it.

I decided to lay her into a stable side position and look for the treasure and Rafe. Maybe I could end her problem with him and, when she awakes, she doesn't have to do it herself. It felt terrible to just leave her, but I couldn't help her even if I stayed.

"I'll come back, Jo. Don't do anything stupid."

I dived into the water and swam out of the cave to enter an even bigger one. There was it, the Gunsway, Avery's ship, where he stored the treasure. Unfortunately Rafe and his army had already arrived. I managed to steal a boat from him and drove towards the Gunsway. I heard him shout something behind me, but I didn't care. If it had to be, I would fight him, but all I wanted was to enter the ship, see the treasure. I had waited so long.

------------Nathan's point of view-----------------

I had no other choice. I had to follow them. Sully and Elena helped me to find a way, but eventually I had to climb a wall, that was impossible for them to climb.

"I have to do this."

"No, kid, not alone. We will find another way.", Sully said.

"Sully, no.", Elena interrupted him. "Go, Nathan. I see how you look at her. Go after her and bring her and Sam back."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"Wait. What? How do you look at Jo? Nathan?", Sully questioned.

I laughed. "Maybe I'll tell you, when I come back."

"Don't you dare not to come back.", Elena said. "You all three, come back."

"We will.", I assured her and jumped down the wall on the other side.

I walked and climbed for what seemed like hours to me, led by the footprints of Jo and Sam. Eventually I entered a tunnel, I moved down. After some more climbing I ended up at an underground lake in a cave. I let myself fall down into the clear water and swam to the shore. Suddenly I saw a person laying on the ground. It was Jo. And there was blood. Much blood.

"Jo!", I screamed and ran towards her.

I knelt down next to her and wiped away the blood from her forehead. Her pulse and breathing was normal, but she was unconscious.

"Wake up, Jo! Come on."