Chapter Seven-They had a Luke and Lorelei thing going on...

"Hey honey, how was your first day?" Jenna squeaked as we came through the door.

"Amazing," I replied.

"She has a new boyfriend," Jake hummed, smirking at me.

I blushed.

"Oooh, who is it?" Sam asked coming past us.

"Theo," Jake told him.

"The twin?"

"Yeah."

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Is it just me or does she actually sound sad about that?" Sam teased.

"Shut up," I muttered.

"Don't worry, I know something that will cheer you up," Jake said.

"What?"

"Lindon's my study buddy and he's coming over tonight, in about three minutes. Theo always comes too and hangs out," Jake explained.

I grinned involuntarily. "Cool!"

Jake patted my head tauntingly. "Down girl."

"Cherry, guess what arrived for you this morning," Jenna said.

I scrunched up my nose trying to think if I'd ordered anything.

"Cakes!" I squealed, racing into the kitchen.

"Why's she so excited about cake?" I heard Lindon ask from the doorway.

I ignored the boys' chatter as I ripped the lid off of the black box. There was a letter wedged between rows of pastries.

I smiled sadly as I recognized Drew's looped handwriting on the envelope.

"Who's that from?" Sam asked, gaping at the huge box.

I blinked a few times. "Drew."

"Who's that?"
"Jack's best friend."

"Who's Jack?"

"Sam, shut up!" Jake hissed, kicking him.

I took a deep breath. "Jack was my brother."

I grabbed a peanut butter square that Drew must have made. He and I always made them together at the bakery or his house, because they were my favourite comfort food.

"Don't eat anything with peanut butter or cinnamon. Those are mine, but you guys can help yourselves to whatever else you want," I mumbled, heading towards my room.

I closed my door and sank to the floor, leaning against my bed. I ripped the envelope open and started reading the letter inside.

Hey baby girl,

            How's Colorado? Dad said this should be there by Monday, so I guess you've already started your new school. I bet American school is weird. All the movies say that they don't wear uniform, which is a shame, because you look really cute in a uniform. By the time you get this, I will have started school again. It's going to be so weird not having Jack there with me. I'll have to have a new roommate, someone else will sit next to me in class.... Who else am I going to have paint wars with? And who else has a mind as twisted as mine when it comes to art projects? It's never going to be the same without Jack, you know? How are you coping with it? I really hope there's someone there who understands, so you can talk to them. It's not good for you to keep it all inside like you've been doing, baby girl.

            I really miss you Cherry. And you've only been gone for an hour. It hurts to think you're never gonna come into the bakery, with your whirlwind of emotions and chatter, never going to go through that tedious routine you do with Nick, repeating the same words to each other as you do everyday. It hurts that I'll never be able to hold you again, or laugh at your clumsiness again, or people gaze with you in Covent garden. Christmas will never be the same without your squeals of delight, and snow will just become as normal as rain without you here to throw into snow banks.