Chapter Fourty Two: A waitress who hits you... Very charming

We walked, hand in hand, down the road to the gardens. When we got there, Sam lay down on the grass and looked up at the cloudy sky.

“Why are there so many clouds in the UK?” He asked me.

“Dunno, but it’s gonna rain,” I replied, studying the clouds.

“How can you tell?”

“Rain clouds are darker because they’re heavier,” I told him.

He sighed, and there was a quiet moment. “Come lie with me.”

“It’s too cold to lie on the floor,” I protested.

He smirked and sat up, pulling me on top of him before lying back down again. I moved my legs to straddle him, getting comfier and he smiled at me while I played with the strings on his jumper.

“I can see why you miss it here,” he whispered.

“You can?”

“Yeah. It’s a great city, and it’s easy to see how much you love Nick and Drew. You belong here.”

I smiled, realising he had it down to a T.

“You must hate it in Colorado.”

“I don’t hate it,” I told him honestly.

“No?”

“No. You’re there, for a start.”

He chuckled. “I love you, Chez.”

I smiled down at him. “I love you too,” I said, leaning down to kiss him. He caught my face between his hands and ran his tongue gently over my lower lip. I parted my lips, eager for the taste of him in my mouth. His hands slid down to my waist as our kiss got steamier.

“Not here,” I murmured against his lips as he started to fiddle with the hem of my hoodie.

“Why not?” He asked, his words muffled slightly under our kiss.

I pulled away, breathing deeply. “There’s people around.”

Sam frowned, his forehead crinkling cutely, before he smirked at me. He sat up suddenly, so I ended up sat in his lap, crushed against his chest with his lips dangerously close to mine. He leaned in close to my ear.

“Later,” he whispered huskily.

“W-we have to go meet Nick and Drew,” I said.

He got up, pulling me with him and took my hand again. “Lead the way.”

I took a deep breath, taking in the too-familiar, comforting smell of Smith’s café. Drew crossed the room from our usual booth at the back and hugged me.

“Fancy seeing you here,” he said teasingly, and shook Sam’s hand.

I rolled my eyes and walked to the bar. “Usual?” I asked the waitress, Carly.

“Cherry. Oh my God, someone told me you’d moved to Colorado,” she gushed.

“I did. I’m on vacation for New year,” I told her.

“Oh, you’re going to Drew’s, right?”

I grinned. “Damn right.”

“Cool, I guess I’ll see you there. I’ll bring your usual to the table.”

“Thanks Carly,” I said, following Drew back to Nick.

“Her princess,” he said, flashing me a wide grin. “Hey Sam.”

“Hi,” Sam replied, almost awkwardly, sliding into the booth next to me.

“How was the Eye?” He asked.