Chapter Eighteen- How stupid are you?

Theo's Point of View

I got in my car and drove, hardly able to see through my tears. I wiped my eyes and cursed as I flew into the wrong lane, almost crashing the damn car.

“Theo, what happened?” Lindon asked me as I stumbled into the house.

“Nothing,” I muttered.

“Don’t even try to pull that’ shit on me, bro,” he growled, grabbing hold of my wrist.

“Leave me alone!” I yelled.

“What is going on out here!?” Mom shouted, rushing out of the lounge. “Theo, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I mumbled.

“Theo, you okay?” Lucy asked, following my mom.

I shook my head and she ran over, wrapping her small arms around my waist.

I rested my chin on head and held onto her tightly.

“Is it Cherry?” Lindon asked.

“Yeah,” I replied gruffly.

“Is she okay? What happened?”

“We broke up,” I choked out.

“Why?” Lucy whispered.

“She doesn’t love me.”

Lindon stared at me for a moment, before gently removing Lucy from my arms and slapping me across the back of my head.

“Naïve, freaking idiot,” he muttered.

I shoved him. “What the Hell are you on about?”

“Of course she loves you! Who the Hell told you that!?”

“She did!”

He quirked an eyebrow challengingly. “Oh, she said those exact words?”

I flushed. “Well, not in those exact words. I just know, okay?”

“You stupid, stupid, dick! Anyone can tell that girl loves you! Her eyes go all glazy if someone even mentions your name!”

“She doesn’t love me!” I argued.

“Why would you even think that?” He asked, quietening down.

“I tried to tell her I love her and she practically begged me not to.”

Lindon ran his hand through his hair, and gave me a flat look.

“And you just left? How stupid are you?”

“What do you mean did I leave? Of course I left. Why would I stay?”

“Because she’s scared, you stupid prick!”

“Of what!?”

He sighed. “Work it out yourself.”

I snorted and walked away, up to my room. I threw myself down on my bed and pulled a pillow over my face.

What in the World would she have to be scared of? I just didn’t get it. Love wasn’t scary in the slightest. And the way Taylor and Nick spoke, it sounded like she’d never really moved on from Conner, so it’s not like she’d ever lost someone she loved.

“Jesus,” I breathed, sitting upright as it hit me.

That wasn’t true. She’d lost everyone she ever loved in one way or other. She lost Conner from cancer, and her entire family from the car crash, and all her friends from moving here. What Lindon said made sense then. Cherry was scared of loving someone because she’d lost everyone she’d ever loved.

I looked over at my clock. It was One o’clock in the morning. I wanted to drive right back over to the Lockhart’s and kiss some sense into my crazy girlfriend, but I didn’t want to wake her up after the stressful day. It would have to wait for school to start.

I sighed and climbed under the covers. I didn’t sleep well, and when I did I dreamed of Cherry’s broken look when I left her.

** Uh-oh.... **