Chapter Fourteen- We make sense to me.

Theo drove us to the park where we had our second date and we sat in the car to eat, as it was freezing outside.

"How come you know the menu there so well?" I asked him.

He sighed, blushing. "I-I work there."

I didn't know he had a job. "Cool."

"What, you're not embarrassed to be seen with a guy who works at Taco Bell?" He suddenly sneered.

My mouth went dry and I struggled to swallow what was in my mouth. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm the counter guy at the local Taco Bell, and you're Thomas Parker's insanely rich daughter. We don't make sense!"

My heart twisted a little. "We make sense to me."

"But not to everyone else!"

"I don't care what anybody else thinks!"

"Well I do!"

"But why?"

"Because it's not just people; it's everyone. The media and the reporters and everyone else in the World who read magazines. I don't want to be ridiculed in front of them."
"Who's going to ridicule you?"

He sighed. "You," he whispered.

"And how do you think I'm gonna do that!?"

"One day, after I've fallen completely in love with you, you'll realize that you don't belong in my World and that you're far too good for me, and you'll leave me and everyone will know and everyone will laugh and pity the moron who thought Cherry Parker could possibly love him."

I shook my head at his idiocy and got out of the car, walking to clear my thoughts.

Where was this coming from? I didn't act like a rich, spoilt brat, did I? I always used to, and Nicky complained so I focused really hard on changing my attitude, and I didn't want Theo to think I was stuck-up..

He was wrong to think I could never love him. I thought I already did, but refused to say it. We had only been together for a few weeks, and I wanted to be one hundred percent sure it was love and not infatuation, before I told him.

It started raining, at first a ladylike trickle of tears, but it quickly turned into wailing. I was drenched within a minute.

I heard a car door slam and running footsteps on the soggy grass.

Theo smiled weakly and pulled off his hoody, handing it to me. I silently put it on and got back in the car, shivering.

"Cher, say something," Theo pleaded as he got in next to me.

I scowled at him. "I'm mad at you."

He sighed. "Okay, fine. How long do you have to be mad at me before I explain?"

"Explain what?" I mumbled.

"Whatever," he muttered, turning the key and driving me back to the house. He hopped out of the car and threw me my keys, but followed me into the house, to my surprise.

"Cherry, have you been crying?" Sam asked me as I passed him. I glared at him: how dare he talk to me after what he had caused that week?

"Did he hurt you?" He asked, pushing me gently against the wall.

I sighed. This was beocming a habit of his.

"How many times do I have to tell you to leave my girlfriend alone?" Theo growled, roughly pulling him away from me.

"I can look after myself," I snapped.

He sighed. "Fine."

I changed into short shorts and a tank top in my bathroom, and when I stumbled into my room, almost crying, Theo was standing there, looking a little uncertain.

I blinked the tears away and climbed into my bed.

Theo stared at me for a moment before pulling his shirt off, throwing his trousers on my clean bedroom floor and climbing into bed with me wearing nothing but his boxers. He spooned me from behind and rested his head on my cheek.

"I had this girlfriend, last year," he whispered into the silence.

I turned over to face him, resting my hands on his firm chest. "Go on."

"I loved her. I’d liked her for a long time, and she was so out of my league, but I liked her anyway so I asked her out. She said yes and we were together for a few months. Then when I told her I loved her, she laughed and told me she was just leading me on to see if she could make me believe she loved me. She said it was a part of her acting training," he sniffed.

"Ouch."

"Tell me about it… Most of the school knew what was going on, and they laughed at me for thinking I was good enough for her."

My heart twisted thinking of Theo like that. "She’s a bitch."

"Yeah."

"I’d never do that to you, Theo," I promised.

He squeezed his eyes shut and a tear traced its way down his cheek.

"I know you wouldn’t." he whispered. "I’m sorry."
I stroked his hair. "It’s okay."