Prolouge

New Orleans, Summer

The heat was unbearable, like always, but, unlike always, my mind was completely elsewhere. My large room that was located on the third floor of the New Orleans Institute was almost totally bare of everything I owned. Instead, five cardboard moving boxes were stacked in front of my bed with labels such as 'Clothes' and 'Furniture' and 'Cara's Weapons: Do Not Break'.

I brushed a sweaty piece of my long brown hair behind my ear and bent down to pick up the first of the moving boxes. I carried the heavy thing out of my bare bedroom, past my parents' bedroom and down the hallway where I placed it at the foot of the staircase.
To be completely honest with myself, I couldn't have been happier with leaving New Orleans. It wasn't that I didn't like the weather or the people, because I did, it was just that I liked the weather and the people that were in Brooklyn more.
A lot, lot more.
Brooklyn had been my home for the first thirteen years of my life and even after everything that I had accomplished and learned here in the Big Easy, it remained my home.

Now I was eighteen, nineteen in seven months, and finally going back home. My parents told me it was because they also missed home and wanted to go back but I knew it was because they were more interested in the money they would make in New York. Which was a lot more than they were making now.
But I couldn't care what they told me the reason was, as long as I was going to see the Lightwoods again. My beloved Lightwoods were more of a family than the one that shared my blood, partially due to my parabati, Isabelle Lightwood, and partially due to the fact that I spent every waking moment of the first thirteen years of my life with them.

I groaned out loud and stretched my hands up in the air, cracking my back. As excited as I was to get back to Brooklyn, moving the heavy boxes still didn't excite me.
I started walking back down the hallway to retrieve more boxes from my bedroom, but as I passed my parents' room, a strange compulsion came over me. I opened the heavy oak door and peeked my head in to see my mother sitting on the bed. Her head looked up from the clothes she was folding and smiled when she saw me.
"Cara, honey, what do you need?" She asked.
I smiled back, "I just wanted to say thank you," I told her.
My mother looked confused and a little surprised, "Thank you for what?"
"For letting me go home."

My mother's mouth parted ever so slightly and she laid the shirt down that she was holding. She stood from the bed and crossed the room to me.
"Cara, honey, we knew how awful it was for you to stay here away from your parabati, and it was about time anyways. New Orleans is not your home, nor is it ours," She placed a hand on my check as she spoke. I smiled again, leaning into her hand.

The quick moment was gone, however, when my father walked past me in the hallway and cleared his throat at me. I turned from my mother to see him raising an eyebrow.
"Are all your things packed?" His tone wasn't as cold as it usually was, but I could still hear the irritation.
"Yes," I was happy to tell him.
"Is everything ready to be Portaled?"
"No, I have a few more boxes."
"Then hurry up, Lee will be ready in half an hour." And then he was gone down the hallway again and when I turned back to my mother she was back on the bed, folding clothes.

I sighed and walked the rest of the way back to my bedroom in silence.

-----

Demetrius Lee was the High Warlock of New Orleans and he had generously accepted to open a Portal to Brooklyn for us. Our belongings had left a few minutes ago and I could already imagine Isabelle jumping up and down as she prepared to see me for the first time in five and a half years.
The last time I talked to her was last night over the phone, and she was almost in tears when we spoke about reuniting.
I jiggled nervously up and down as we waited for Demetrius to open the second portal. My fingers fiddled with the bottom of my shirt and I ignored my father's disapproving glance.